Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sheree_gw

Pruning book recommendations

sheree
16 years ago

Also sent an E-mail to yama, hope it wasn't returned as spam.

I work at Furman University in what was know as the Japanese Garden, but now includes plants from China and is now known as the Asian garden.

I wanted to subscribe to the Japanese Garden Journal, which seems to be helpful for novices. However, there does seem to be question about its dogmatic editiorial content. (I came upon and read the very long and controversial thread about this from Oct 2005, when I was searching to find prices on Japanese Tripod ladders.)

Although I am an experienced gardener, I'm not trained in pruning trees and shrubs in the Japanese style, but am eager to learn.

I have the new NIWAKI book, but haven't been able to find anything about pruning shrubs. Appreciate other books you folks might recommend on this topic.

This garden has been newly refurbished and includes many different types of bamboo, red pine, black dragon Crytomerias, Hakenachloa (sp?), gumpo azaleas, Mume plum trees, camellias, and lots of other such plants. These plantings are around a large man-made pond (250,000 gallons.) No aquatic life yet, it is near our lake and they are afraid of non-native species getting into the lake.

If any of you ever come to Greenville, South Carolina, please feel free to come to the Furman Campus and visit

us.

The Asian garden is only half complete, with more bamboo and other choice plants from Japan and China to be added this summer.

Comments (9)

• chris74robinson
    16 years ago

I have that NIWAKI book and I think it has numerous shortcomings including the one you mentioned. If you're not reading JOJG you might want to reconsider. They have shrub pruning articles all the time.

• yama
    16 years ago

Hi
    This is my email address I did not recieved your E mail. send me email again.
    yama

• yama
    16 years ago

Hi sheree.
    I have a van which has 35 gal gas tank. It cost me full gas tank plus to make round trip to SC.If you and other 4,5 peoples to get gather and pay travel expence,Gas, Barger king lunch, wendy's dinner, I will consider to visit to SC and shere my knowlege and skill.
    Early morning to dark. It won't be bad deal ^^.
    probably Ben who works at art college not far from where you are, may want to join too.
    Since I lost home by divorce, I have no place to teach.
    Talk to school official ,co workers or place notice on GW Japanese garden forum if anyone want to join.

yama

• gardesignr
    16 years ago

Hi, Sheree

I am 'Ben' referred to above by Yama ... I live and work in Greenwood (50 miles south of you) ... he and I have talked by phone and agreed that I would try to coordinate a pruning workshop conducted by Yama if we can get enough people to make it worth his while. Yama is native Japanese, he has gardened all his life, and he is very knowledgeable .... I do not think that it is an overstatement to regard him as one of the best in the SE USA. We wonder if it would be possible to hold a workshop at Furman? Please contact me at benjammine@yahoo. Thanks!

• yama
    16 years ago

Hi all
    Japanese style pruning are basicly thining out,leave,twigs/branch. it requie knowlege of knots,proper use of ladders.And we hade some trick of trade which offten books are not showing. Shape of shurbs , kind of shurbs are not cover in one book,and we use different tools than most western pruning book show.
    Teaching pruning, I have to show what tools must have, how to sharpe it, do and don't. what bamboo have to use to shape tree, and basic culture of bamboos
    If barnch is thick and strong, have to use chesal and split branch and use comealong to pull down barnch.
    red pine, black pine, white pine, virginia pine, mugo pine , etc. pruing one pine tree to another are also slitely difference too.
    It is very hard to explain everything on paper. ^^ .

yama

• sheree
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Yama:

This is fantastic. If anyone else is the northern part of Georgia or South Carolina and wants to participate, this would be amazing. It would be a privilege to help share in paying your expenses Yama.

Since I and most folks work during the week, can we schedule it on Saturday? I will also have to make sure that we can do this on campus. But the Asian Study Department might have some faculty and students who would be interested in this also.

I will E-mail you and Ben also.

• yama
    16 years ago

Hi Sheree
    I am glad that we can communicateing now. If you, stuff and students of Furman Univercity like to see me, I am happy to assist you anyway I can.
    I have a friend/former student who live near the Univercity. He offered me to stay . so that Friday, saturday. or saturday and sunday is possible. He and other few will contact you soon to tell you about classes I offered in the past So that you know me better.Or you can call me or send me E mail.
    yama

• didgeridoo
    16 years ago

Hey Sheree,

I heard a while back that the garden was slated to be rennovated, but i was under the imression that it fell through. I am very happy to hear that the construction is partially complete and i look forward to visiting the new garden. Was David Slawson involved in the redesign, and if no, do you know whom?

I am also very excited to have Mike Yamakami coming to Greenville, SC for a Japanese gardening workshop. If we could actually have it at the garden, it would be a real privilege and treat. If anyone is interested in attending the workshop, please follow this thread as more specific information regarding the date and time will be available soon. Greenville, SC is about an hour from Asheville, NC, about 1h 45m from Charlotte, NC, and a little over 2 hours from Atlanta, GA. Anyone with a sincere intereste in JGs is encouraged to attend.

I have attended a number of Mr. Yamakami's workshops in the past, and have learned some very specific and valuable Japanese gardening information. In the past we have discussed and worked on things as varied as:

Identification, cultivation, and propogation of bamboo
    Containing bamboo
    Harvesting and curing bamboo
    Tools for processing and building with bamboo
    Bamboo construction (fences, arbors, spouts, supports)
    Training pine trees with bamboo supports
    Pruning tools and techniques for trees and shrubs
    Creating specialized tools for unique circumstances
    Building a tripod ladder from hickory
    Creative use of ladders in difficult spaces using guy wires and bamboo supports
    Hardscape design and construction (pathways, stepping stones, boulders, fences)
    Stone selection and transportation
    On site stone movement using a tripod and chain hoist
    Aesthetic stone placement
    Site specific and design objective plant selection
    Japanese plant substitutions
    Containerized plant installation and care
    Transplanting large material
    Maintenance issues
    Pest management and chemical safety
    Tree climbing and safety
    Pond and water feature installations
    Site survey
    Materials estimation
    Scheduling and coordination of construction phases
    Design elements and functions in a Japanese garden
    Theory and symbology of garden design

One of my transcriptions of a bamboo fence building workshop given by Mike Yamakami is still viewable at the JGarden website here: http://www.jgarden.org/features.asp?ID=75

I can also post an article from a stone setting workshop given by Mr. Yamakami if anyone is interested.

-christian m.

• gardesignr
    16 years ago

Hi,Christian

I have not met you (yet) though we have spoken by phone. I would very much like to see your stone setting workshop notes and photos and I am am sure others would as well. I am looking forward to meeting you at Yamas workshop at Furman on Mar 29. Ben H

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting