Return to the Japanese Gardens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Mildew on Bamboo

Posted by joefromsd San Diego (My Page) on
Wed, Feb 23, 05 at 12:33

I use rolls of bamboo fencing (not reed) as the shade element for alot of my Shade Structures, but within a year mildew appears.

What I've used to remove it is a deck wash that contains bleach. Just spray it on and rinse, and the mildew is gone.

I was wondering if anyone knew of any other products, or receipes for self-prepared mixtures that work ?

Also, don't suppose there is anything I could apply that would prevent mildew from forming on the bamboo ?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Mildew on Bamboo

Joe,

An oil/wax like Thompsons, sprayed on with a small pump tank might help?

sabi

o

That might help a little, but I was hoping for something with perhaps a mildewcide in it.

Here's some pics of one of the structures. You can see the bamboo when it was new, and then, only a year later it's almost black ! No bueno.

http://www.hpphoto.com/servlet/com.hp.HPGuestLogin?username=joe_wood&password=31139661

When you get to the Album, click on a pic, then look right and click View > Original Size.

Here is a link that might be useful: 5 Sided Fuyjidana

o

Your question is similar to mine joe, same enough to invite the advice from an expert if there is one out there. Your design and craftsmanship is excellent joe and it would be nice to find a solution (a mildewcide ?)

o

Bleach, Water, and Lye.
Bleach and Lye is what is in things like the bath cleaner "Tilex"
"Chlorox" or similar mixed half and half with water.
Add 2 tablespoons of lye to the quart.
Spray it on, let it stand and rinse it off.
A scrub brush helps.
Don't even think about this without eye protection and plenty of fresh water for a rinse. Rubber gloves are a good idea.

All the midewcides I know of are pretty nast chemicals but a paint and sundry supply might have something.

o

Bamboo, why is the lye necessary ? I thought that bleach and water was enough to kill the mildew spores.

o

The lye beaks down the mildew and helps it rinse free.
So does the bleach. The two together work even better.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Japanese Gardens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here