Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
herb_gw

Japanese carpentry

Herb
19 years ago

For those of us who have (I don't but I wish I had) enough skill to build things like a teahouse or a Machiai or a roofed gate with authentic, Japanese-style wood joints, here are some very interesting pictures illustrating this sort of carpentry -

Click here

Comments (19)

• DonPylant
    19 years ago

Thanks, Herb! We are going to restore an ageing Azumaya with rotting support posts with the help of carpenters from Kumamoto. I will try to take photos to post if you are interested. Not that I would every be able to build something in this traditional method, it would be nice to be able to do repairs!

• Herb
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Wow, I'm envious: we've been giving a lot of thought to having an Azumaya built, but the only suitable place for it has several shrubs and a honeysuckle-covered trellis that I'm reluctant to lose. We certainly will be interested to see your photos - they may tip the balance and make us come to a decision to actually do it.....

Herb

• mich_in_zonal_denial
    19 years ago

Hi Herb,
    I am not sure if this book is still available to purchase , but if you can get your hands on a book called The Art of Japanese Joinery by Kiyosi Seike you will be dazzled by the easy to understand pictorial directions on how to work with simple Japanese hand tools to craft complex joinery in wood.

I used this book extensively to self teach myself Japanese joinery.
    It paid off tremendously career wise, I probably wouldn't be where I am today if I did not study with it.
    From what I was able to learn from it landed me one of my most influential jobs back in the early 80's.

• Cady
    19 years ago

I have The Art of Japanese Joinery too, and also recommend it.

You might want to check out the website for Hida Tools (I think it's hidatools.com but a Google of "Hida Tools" would bring up the info). The owner is a big fan of Japanese carpentry and specializes in tools of the trade (and gardening tools, too). He usually posts announcements of workshops, guest carpenters - who visit from Japan - photos and other neat stuff.

• mich_in_zonal_denial
    19 years ago

Interesting Cady,
    That is where I purchased the above mentioned book when they had a great little shop in Berkeley.

Herb, if you travel down to Seattle you might be able to find this book in one of the Japanese bookstores in the Japantown area.

• Cady
    19 years ago

Mich (and all),
    Here is the website. Be sure to check out the "apprentice diary" by the young fella who is now apprenticing for a temple-and-shrine construction company (talk about specialty carpentry!).

I've gotten lots of garden tools from Hida. It's one of the few places around where you can get a bamboo saw.

Here is a link that might be useful: Hida website

• wasabinsoy
    19 years ago

I don't claim fine skills, but my furniture design was strongly inspired by Japanese joinery. For over ten years I made my way as a furniture maker using only joinery. The difference was, our joinery was primarily exposed. It's more skillful to conceal.

Great link. Thanks

• LouisWilliam
    19 years ago

If you are looking for some high quality saws for Japanese joinery, bamboo construction, or gardening, check out www.silkysaws.com I bought one of their pruning saws in Japan about 6 years ago and have been a big fan ever since. They have a great website, sell over the internet(including replacement parts), and have a US based distribution network now. I think they are the source of some of the saws at Hida Tool.

Here is a link that might be useful: Japanese saws

• LouisWilliam
    19 years ago

Looks like Silky Saws now have their internet sales at silkystore.com

• Cady
    19 years ago

Silky has ads in all the garden magazines now, so I think they have an exclusive distributer in the US. Hida carries their saws also, and I have bought several through them.

• joefromsd
    19 years ago

Boy, that complicated joinery always makes me dizzy just looking at it !

Here's another nice site showing all kinds of different joinery techniques.

Here is a link that might be useful: Joints

• Cady
    19 years ago

The computer illustration images make the joints look so simple, joefromsd. lol

Did you check out the photos of the Japanese carpentry demo and planing contest (how fast can you plane a timber, and how thinly?) on the Hida site? Here's a direct connection to the page that reports on the "tai kai" and includes a big list of photo links at the bottom. Some show shoji makers and others creating their joinery work.

Here is a link that might be useful: Japanese carpentry tai kai

• mich_in_zonal_denial
    19 years ago

I have a Mikita plane that works like a dream -
    It is exceptionally fast and has great precision.
    Especially when it is plugged in.

My other planes are American made and are slugs.
    Unfortunately , they did not come with electrical cords.

: > 0

• Archer55
    18 years ago

Wow, a museum of wood joints! I've got to check that out.

• DonPylant
    18 years ago

The repairs to Kumamoto En in San Antonio Texas are scheduled to start on the 1st. I will post photos after the work is done in one month!

• zendozone
    16 years ago

If anyone on this thread knows of any traditional Japanese carpenters or contractors living in BC or Washington, I would be very grateful for contact info on how to reach them. I'm in the early stages of building a traditional Japanese sento on Salt Spring Island and hope to do so using traditional Japanese woodworking.

• yama
    16 years ago

Hi all

Sabi, mich and Louis
    Am I still invited ? (with Cady) ^^
    Hida tools making paper catalog. soon it will be ship out.

• yama
    16 years ago

Hi Wasabi
    I have a very beutifull Japanese magazin which has article and photo of Wsabi field in Japan.It is written in Japanese.
    If you like to have it I cut pages and will send you.

But you have to hurry. I am packing my stuff. if repay came too late I may have too discard whole magazine.
    yama

• yama
    16 years ago

Hi all.
    I am going to Japan for awhile. Don't know how long I am going to stay in Japan perhaps till January or Feburay long enough time to warm liburary's chairs.
    Joe,sabi, Herb if you want to find things let's me to know. I don't garranty but try if not take too much of my time. I am leaving for Japan mid April.
    My emaill address will be close by end of month. so you better hurry up ^^.
    japanesegardener1@yahoo.com. If you like to have address and phone number in Japan I will give you if you send me e mail.

Sponsored
Hoppy Design & Build
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Northern VA Award-Winning Deck ,Patio, & Landscape Design Build Firm