Return to the Japanese Gardens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Earl Burns Miller Japanese Garden

Posted by Herb Victoria, B.C. (My Page) on
Fri, Feb 18, 05 at 19:47

There are some pictures here of the Earl Burns Miller Japanese Garden on the campus of California State University, Long Beach. If you are interested in Koi they include several rather spectacular pictures of them -
Click here

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Earl Burns Miller Japanese Garden

Hi Herb,
Thanks for the link. Very pretty gardens...the fish pics are really interesting/strange too...like this one :)
This one reminds me of a (true)story I read about a couple of birds that had lost their babies to a wind storm (nest fell out of tree) & they still had such a stong feeding instinct they were actually feeding some fish in a pond.

Here is a link that might be useful: Fish Feeding Frenzy

o
RE: Earl Burns Miller Japanese Garden

• Posted by Herb Victoria, B.C. (My Page) on
    Fri, Mar 4, 05 at 22:22

tsuki -

Another striking picture!

What you wrote about the birds feeding the fish because of their strong parenting instinct reminds me of the (true) account of a lioness somewhere in Africa who'd lost her cubs, and who found a baby impala or some such herbivore that had lost it's mother, and the lioness tried to adopt it, even though normally, she'd have eaten it. (Her attempt wasn't a success). Then, a year or two ago, there was the female gorilla who rescued a little boy who'd fallen into the gorillas' enclosure. And there are accounts of dolphins saving humans from drowing. I incline to think that humans' attraction towards puppies and kittens is the same sort of phenomenon.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Japanese Gardens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here