Return to the Japanese Gardens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
'Little Girl' magnolia hybrids

Posted by dawgie z7 NC (My Page) on
Fri, Mar 12, 04 at 8:27

I recently bought a Japanese magnolia that is one of the "Little Girl" hybrids. It was labeled "Anne" at the nursery, but there is a good chance it was mislabeled. The plant had 2 labels in the pot, Anne and Betty, but the nursery thought it as an Anne. Half of their magnolias had no labels at all, but they were all "Little Girl" hybrids --Anne, Betty or Jane.

Anyway, I went ahead an bought the tree because it was nicely shaped, had lots of flower buds and was fairly priced. According to the books I've consulted, Anne will grow to an eventual height of 8-10 feet, while Betty and Jane will get a little larger, 12-15 feet. Does anyone know whether there is really any difference in height among these varieties? What other differences are there, eg, color and form? All of the trees at the nursery looked pretty similar. The buds on the one I bought are deep reddish purple in color and are just starting to open.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: 'Little Girl' magnolia hybrids

I looked in Dirr's Manual of Woody Landscape Plants

Anne - 8' to 10' high, 10' wide and more open than Betty, deep purple-red, 7-9 tepals

Betty - 10', very upright, deep purple-red outside, white inside, 12-15 tepals

Really, no difference in culture, make sure it's not planted too deep (#1 cause of woody plant failure, in my experience), it needs full-sun or mostly-sun conditions, good air circulation but protect from strong winter winds.

o

• Posted by Ron_B USDA 8 WA (My Page) on
    Sat, Mar 13, 04 at 3:51

It's spelled 'Ann'. This one and 'Betty' are among the more treelike selections. It also flowers earlier in the season than the other Kosar-DeVos hybrids.

o

I have an 'Ann' and its 12ft tall and 7 yrs old. Here in N Georgia (Atlanta) they have been spectacular (the last several years the blooms have been cut short by a late freeze). I'm sure you will enjoy either variety. They are beautiful.

o

I just planted an Ann last month on the southeast corner of my house. Is that a good spot? It gets a good deal of shade from a nearby limbed-up Foster holly.

o

Up north here we find 'Jane to be hardier and shrubbier than the other listings...

o

• Posted by Ron_B USDA 8 WA (My Page) on
    Mon, Nov 1, 04 at 23:35

>I just planted an Ann last month on the southeast corner of my house. Is that a good spot? It gets a good deal of shade from a nearby limbed-up Foster holly.<

Sounds like the spot may not be the best one you can come up with. There may not be enough room or sun for it. Try to put it where it will have room to grow at least 2 storeys high, somewhat less wide, without being crowded by other shrubs or overhung by taller trees, which will deform its shape as it matures.

o

is the little girl a bush or tree magnolia/

does anyone know the source magnolias for the hybrid?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Japanese Gardens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here