Return to the Japanese Gardens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
JM's are sick, anyone know with what? (Picture inside)

Posted by M3rc_Nate Eight, Pacific NW (My Page) on
Wed, Mar 12, 14 at 15:57

So i bought a bunch of Japanese Maples (like two years old) from a online store (very reputable) to graft on them. They looked great and healthy. In September/October I grafted onto them and set them outside under our back deck.

Now, and in checking in on them every once in a while...this is what im seeing: http://1drv.ms/1fUbD5N
http://1drv.ms/1esNSfI

The grafts are obviously dead, have some weird growth on them, a few inches of the tree that I cut into to slide the graft in is dead, and most importantly, now the bottom few inches of the trunk is black and has the same growth growing on them.

Anyone know what this is? If anything can be done?

(The cause cant be the soil because i used the exact same stuff from the same bag in my other potted JM's and they are perfectly fine. It wasnt the blade i used to graft cause it was new and cleaned. It wasnt over watering or anything because if anything i underwatered, only watering a few times over the course of the winter.)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: JM's are sick, anyone know with what? (Picture inside)

Nothing?

o

I would try posting this on the Maple forum...not much traffic on this forum.

o

I always thought grafting of Japanese maples was done in the Spring prior to bud break.
I can't make your links work.
Mike

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Japanese Gardens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here