Return to the Japanese Gardens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Japanese garden brooms

Posted by yamamba (My Page) on
Fri, Mar 2, 07 at 17:42

Hi,

I'm a new member and I really miss those wonderful garden brooms that they have in Japan. Does anyone out there know how to make them?

Thanks,
Yamamba

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Japanese garden brooms

I'm also interested in making a broom to sweep moss and for general clean up in tight spots or around delicate plants. I saw one being used in a Japanese garden segment on TV. Can these be purchased? If not, what are they made of? I may experiment with bamboo trimmings if nothing else materializes.

Peace, alladrm

o

• Posted by yama 7b Ga (My Page) on
    Wed, Mar 14, 07 at 21:45

Hi
short broom
black bamboo, moso bamboo yeloow grove bamboo makes good broom. moso is little bit stiffthan others. You have to have 4 to 5 years old bamboo branch. If bamboo is too young, it won't work well.

long handle bamboo broom
Itis same as short broom. you have to have 4 to 5 years old bamboo's branchs and about 4 feet long about 1 1/2 diameter bamboo.

sorry I can't explain how to make it in text only. I make for my self own use but not making for sale.
I have tought how to make bamboo broom at my Japanese garden class years ago. small broom you can find brush for masonary use or auto parts store for general cleanup.
..........yama

o

Go to www.buildingforhealth.com

Look under "gardening"

These brooms sell for $22.

Gloria

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Japanese Gardens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here