Return to the Japanese Gardens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
most fragrant Prunus mume

Posted by Greenwitch z9 SoCal (My Page) on
Mon, Mar 7, 05 at 18:14

I only have room for one and don't want to compromise fragrance for big gaudy blossoms (as much as I like them). Oddly enough, I prefer single roses - I know, it doesn't compute.

Any suggestions? Do they differ in fragrance or only strength of fragrance? Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: most fragrant Prunus mume

• Posted by Ron_B USDA 8 WA (My Page) on
    Wed, Mar 9, 05 at 22:56

Try a seedling. Cheaper anyway.

o
RE: most fragrant Prunus mume

Hi Ron,

Since I first posted the question I found the L.E.Cooke Nursery website (they have several cultivars of P.mume). What I noticed is of the two fruiting ones, one has a higher chill:

Shiro-Kaga, single white flowers, spicy fragrance...400 hrs.

Fruiting Japanese(ume) double pink, ...700 hrs.

They also have flyers on the ornamental P.mumes among them Bonita is stated to require 100 - 150 chill hours to bloom properly. The other cvs don't specify chill requirements.

100-150's a sure thing in my climate, 400 is iffy, 700 - no way.

I was considering WB Clarke (weeping) or Matsubara Red but now I'm not sure whether they would be ok with the low chill here. (I won't get ANY fragrance if I can't get them to bloom first!)

I may just put two in a hole, Bonita and Shiro-Kaga and possibly WB Clarke in a tub as an experiment.

Thanks for your input.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Japanese Gardens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here