Return to the Japanese Gardens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Need help desciding

Posted by fluffy_bamboo Zone 9 (My Page) on
Mon, Apr 16, 07 at 9:30

I need help with what to plant in my frontyard planter area. The area is about 2 1/2' x 12' and gets lots of sun. I live in the San Fernando Valley where it does get hot in the summer. I like plants that are beautiful and different. My favorites that I have now are Bamboo's, Japanese Maples, grasses and Elephant Ears. Any Suggestions? Thank you.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Need help desciding

From what I know of Japanese Maples, Bamboo's, Elephant ears all require some dapple shaded areas and some moist soil. Depanding on the grasses some also need shade. You want to look at plants that do well in hot, dry climates. There are really good books on dry area plants. You can also speak with your local nurseries for advice and see their plants. Once you know the plants you like, you can sometimes buy the unusal ones online.

o

If you like bamboo, you might also like nandina. They come in a variety of sizes. It doesn't get as hot here in the Puget Sound area as you experience, but I have a couple of these against the west-facing wall of my house, where they bake all afternoon when it's sunny. We had a very hot summer last year (for around here, that is...) and these plants seemed to love it.

o

Hi,
I saw your post and thought I would point you in the direction of my Japanese Garden Blog- it's packed full of free information and great pictures , maybe for a bit of inspiration!?

www.japzen.wordpress.com

Hope you like it.

Regards
Japzen

Here is a link that might be useful: http://www.japzengardens.org

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Japanese Gardens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here