Return to the Japanese Gardens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Kind of Sand. gravel to use in japanse garden

Posted by cadmancan Sac, CA (My Page) on
Mon, Apr 2, 07 at 10:06

Can anyone please help me with the kind of sand/gravel to use in a japanese garden? I went to a couple of gravel places and I didnt see anything that remotely resembled the kind of sand I see in pictures. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Kind of Sand. gravel to use in japanse garden

Hi,
I use 8mm to 10mm limestone chippings as I find the colour just right and the size is ideal for raking .
George.

Here is a link that might be useful: George's Japanese Garden

o

Thank you for the suggestion. It is much apprecuated.

o

Feed stores around here have Tuffshell, which is limestone that they feed turkey and chickens. It is about 1/8" grain size and works well

o

Hello from Melbourne, FL. This is my first day on this site.

The following is from the Brooklyn Botanic Garden Record, Plants & Garden 1961-62 (new series vol. 17 no. 4)
The "Sand Gardens" Of Japan
...there are centuries-old "abstract" gardens in Japan in which sand or gravel are used more frequently, because it can be raked in meaningful patterens.
In constructing the replica of the Ryoanji Temple Stone Garden at Brooklyn Botanic Garden, the gravel problem required a satisfactory solution. Washed gravel cannot satisfactorry be raked into surface patterens. Crushed gravel of uniformly-sized particles can be raked into patterens, but if it is to hold the pattern and at the same time present a satisfactory appearance (texture, light and shadow, etc.), it is necessary to combine two or three sizes of gravel particles.
After several experiments, it was found that poultry grit from the North Carolina Granite Corporation, Mt Airy, NC came closet to giving the effect obtained by the Japanese in their Ryoanji Garden in Kyoto.
Of the many size combinations we tested, one of the best proved to be:
2 parts "Grower" size
1 part "Turkey" size
1 part "Turkey Finisher"
The different sizes were thoroughly mixed, applied evenly over a flat surface, and raked into a the "wavelet" pattern.
The mixture can be recommended both for texture and holding quality. The wavelet pattern holds its form for several weeks, depending on the weather.
While mixtures with a higher percentage of small grit held the pattern very satisfactory, they were chaclky in appearance and did not resemble the orginal Ryoanji mix. --- Landon H. Winchester,
(Assistant Horticulturist, Brooklyn Botanic Garden)

I added the following:
http://www.ncgranite.com/gritmailer.pdf
grower: 3/32 - 3/16 inch (2.3813 - 4.7625 mm)
turkey: 5/16 - 7/16 inch (7.9375 - 11.1125 mm)
turkey finisher: 7/16 - 5/8 inch (11.1125 - 15-8725 mm)

Here is a link that might be useful: Gran-i-grit broucher

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Japanese Gardens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here