Return to the Japanese Gardens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Sheared Azaleas

Posted by mrmiagi48386 z4 usa mich (jce81@comcast.net) on
Sun, Apr 16, 06 at 10:46

Hello all.
In many of the pictures i've viewed of Japanese gardens,
there are sheared azalea mounds. Could someone inform me of the species of azalea that are used. And additional info on shearing azaleas would be appreciated. I live in Michigan zone 4. TIA
Mr. Miagi

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Sheared Azaleas

I think its fair to say its not the species, or cv's, that are important but the azalea/rhododendron 'group'. The 'small leaved' or 'japanese' or 'small leaved evergreens' (these are terms i know to be used in europe) the important thing about this group of azaleas is that they 'break' from cuts into old wood ie they are 'shearable'. Also the habit produced by this breaking of many new buds from pruning cuts gives the dense crown of foliage suitable for tamamono (rounded shrubs)

o

Thank you RonBird. Your info is appreciated. Will check with my local nursery and find out which of the evergreen azaleas are hardy in my area.

o

Hello,
Here is some nice info and suggestions. I hope this link works.

http://www.ces.ncsu.edu/depts/hort/hil/hil-629.html

o

Nice job, Ronbird! It sounds like you know what you're talking about. What is your connection with Japanese gardens?

o

Get ready for a shill folks...

Locked and loaded, make my day.

o

Thank you Judith.

o

PJK,

a career in horticulture and a long standing interest in Oriental style landscaping. Does anybody know what iandad is talking about ?

Ron

o

All Evergeen Azaleas can be sheared.

You'd choose what groups are hardy in your area. This link should be helpful.

Azaleas have growing points all along their stems so you don't have to be careful where you cut. Dwarf Rhododendrons don't, so they are not candidates for shearing.

Technically, all Evergreen Azaleas ARE Dwarf Rhododendrons but in the US they aren't labeled as such.

Here is a link that might be useful: evergreen azalea info

o

Thanks buyorsell for info.

o

buyorsell,
I think there are a number discrepancies in your post. For example, "evergreen" is at least partially related to where it is planted. And "dwarf" is a poor choice of words because some of those slow-growing plants can become HUGE after 100 years. Perhaps ronbird can help clear things up.

o

If mrmiagi48386 goes to a typical US garden center and asks for a small leaved or Japanese Rhododendron he is most likely not going to be shown the plants he really wants.

In the USA the term is "Evergreen Azalea" for what he wants.
Even if some of them partially defoliate during harsh winters.

A small leaved Rhododendron here is going to get him 'Ramapo', 'PJM', R. impeditum or others that are not suitable for shearing and which are generally termed "Dwarf Rhododendrons" here.

I said that all evergreen azaleas were techincally dwarf Rhododendrons because all azaleas belong to the Genus Rhododendron and the evergreen ones we grow here rarely exceed 4' tall making them dwarf plants by most standards.

100 year old shrubs aren't commonplace in the USA. :)

o
temperature

Is Michigan as cold as Minnesota?

If so, you may be out of luck with any of the evergreen azaleas.

Sorry

Here is a link that might be useful: Minnesota Azaleas and Rhododendrons

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Japanese Gardens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here