Return to the Japanese Gardens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How do I build a small japanese house?

Posted by kiochi (My Page) on
Sat, Apr 1, 06 at 13:30

I want to have small tea house in my garden,
but I dont know how to build it, specially the roof!
Help me!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How do I build a small japanese house?

If you scroll down a ways you'll see a thread called "Looking for Construction Plans" which has a similar request as yours.

Here is a link that might be useful: Const. Plans

o

I belive Dover Publications has several picture/plan books
available....they are reprints from the 1800's or early 1900's. They would be good for research.

o

It seems like building a small Japanese house would be an almost impossible task for anything but an expert carpenter. A teahouse would be even MORE difficult than that. Why don't you start with something more reasonable, like a gate or nice wooden fence?

o

This may give you some ideas. The person who built this "winged it", really, and I think it is rather a nice effect, though I'd probably make certain my exterior was done to suit my climate, and I'd probably go for more overhang, as I prefer the look with a wider eave than they chose. But, the idea is sound, and the finished tea house is quite nice.

It would be a challege, but I don't think it would be outside of the realm of doable for someone with decent tools and good, solid basic carpentry skills.

Here is a link that might be useful: Tea House

o

Those upturned roof corners really stand out as a gaijin effort. If you're going to do such a thing, why not skip the funky Japan-cheezy pool house (see Matrinka's link) and instead try to build a real azumaya or machiai. There's a guy near me who builds the real thing. Check out the teahouse at his website at daikuwoodworking.com

Here is a link that might be useful: Peter Wechsler & Daiku Woodworking

o

I stumbled on this plan.

Here is a link that might be useful: Tea House Plan

o

You can buy plans for a small Japanese teahouse from U-BILD Enterprises-$9.95 -"Teahouse Plan 710." Just GOOGLE "teahouse plan," and it will show up.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Japanese Gardens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here