Return to the Japanese Gardens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Need help in identifying dwarf or semi-dwarf Japanese maple

Posted by kathsgrdn KY (My Page) on
Fri, Apr 21, 06 at 14:10

I just returned from a nearby nursery and they had one of the most beautiful trees I've ever seen. It was part of their landscape, so not for sale. They're expecting more this summer, but they will be about $100 each. If I can find one on-line cheaper, I've rather do that. Here is what they told me, it's a Verdere (they didn't know how to spell it). I couldn't find anything on-line with that name pertaining to Japanese Maples...the closest thing I saw was Viridis? They said grew to 8 foot tall, green leaves in Spring, darker in Summer and orange in Fall. The tree was very thick, with beautiful lacy leaves, and may be a weeping type? It didn't weep alot, like a willow or cherry but kind of had a downward dip to it's branches, hard to explain. The tree was beautiful and I love orange fall color. Wish I had a camera so I could've taken a picture to post. There are so many different varieties out there, I finally decided to come here and ask hoping someone here would steer me in the right direction. Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Need help in identifying dwarf or semi-dwarf Japanese maple

• Posted by kobold Vancouver BC (My Page) on
    Fri, Apr 21, 06 at 23:23

Looks like it is "Waterfall" Viridis. The full name is Acer palmatum Waterfall Viridis. "Dissectum" in the name (if it is there) means the lacy, finely dissected leaves.

Congratulations, you discovered the magic of Japanese Maples! Very easy to get hooked on, collect them. Visit the Maple Forum , you can find beautiful pictures in the Gallery section.

o

Thanks Kobold! I'm going over to the Maple forum now.

o

I'm never going to get off this computer if I don't stop exploring Garden Web. I had no idea there were so many forums I would be interested in......

o

I found my maple and bought it through an on-line company. It came in the mail to day and is beautiful! Thanks for the help!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Japanese Gardens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here