Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
peter_and_malin

Need some help with latern placement!

Peter_and_Malin
17 years ago

Today I made a bargain. I knew before that I wanted one lantern in my garden. It is not very big so I felt that one was proper. And since I have a pond and I like the yuki mi gata lantern, I decided to purchase it. And today I finally made the deal, at a price of 950 SEK (about 126 USD). It is made in china and the material is granite.

Anyway, please look at the pictures below, this setup took me about 10 minutes, I just wanted to get it placed "in" the pond... and then study the site and perhaps find a more suitable place.

{{gwi:1007321}}

{{gwi:1007320}}

What do you think? I think this lantern is a very powerful item to place, it has lots of character, and I feel it is somewhat out of balance. Perhaps a shrub or something close to it would help. I think that something is definetly missing, perhaps the position is incorrect or the pantern need to be balance by perhaps a shrub behind it? What do you think?

/Peter

Comments (10)

• harrycb
    17 years ago

I can't see any of the photos.

• Peter_and_Malin
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Hi!

its strange, but the photos are thre, right click on the pic and copy/paste it.. then you should be able to open it...

cheers

• stevega
    17 years ago

I am no expert but I have opinions.
    1.I think that the size if the lantern is too close to the size of the rocks it is resting on. It would be better to be on a pebble "beach" or flat boulder.
    2. The scene would look better with more enclosure. A large evergreen shrub/small tree, or 3, behind it would help focus on the area.
    3. The lantern is quite light colored and ornate and needs something to link it with the natural surroundings.
    I have a similar problem in my yard that I will be asking the forum for suggestions when I can photograph as small as 61k

• ltfuzz
    17 years ago

Hi,
    I can't see/copy/paste the pictures either. Would you mind posting them in the gallery?
    It sounds like you have purchased the right thing, congratulations!
    Dave

• Peter_and_Malin
    Original Author
    17 years ago

This pic hosting service is not what i thought.. a work around is to rightclick on the image, select properties, then copy and paste the link you see in the properties window... paste it in the address field and click enter. As soon as i find a good free host I will repost it, promise!

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:1007320}}

• Peter_and_Malin
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Ahh wish I could edit posts... nvmind today I was driving past a lake... and I noticed a shoreline where the rocks in different size and shapes are in disorder... and all of a sudden it hirs me.. i need to create that disorder too around too. If you look at the pond pics, it is obvious a human have placed those rocks there...

I checked some japanese garden books when I got home... and the shore lines looked almost identical to the one at the lake..

Ahh I hate working with stones... but I guess I cant cheat on this one... if the stones around the lantern look natural then I think the eye will ahve no problem accepting the lantern itself..

• tom_murphy
    17 years ago

Peter,

A beautiful lantern. I believe a couple of pine trees behind the pond would really help but they need to be asymmetrical placed.

I also think that changing out the 4 stones on the shore to the left of the lantern to stones of varying size would help.

Personally, I like the contrast in color to the surroundings

• sharon_can
    17 years ago

The lantern is beautiful and the reflection just right.
    You may have solved the problem by now. It would be nice to see another pic. I agree that the rocks are too symmetrical, both in size and placement. There does need to be something behind the lantern for it to stand out against, an evergreen or perhaps a small cascading Japanese Maple. Nice pond!

• elphaba_gw
    17 years ago

I am not able to see any picture either. Was very interested. sigh...

For others who might be having same trouble, I wonder if our adblocker is preventing us from viewing. The only thing I get is
    {{gwi:1007320}}

which is just a little icon for "pictiger". Oh well.

• lilies4me
    17 years ago

Can't see it either.

Sponsored
Carl Williamson Designs, LLC
Average rating: 4.6 out of 5 stars10 Reviews
Nationally Acclaimed Interior Designer | 2x Best of Houzz