Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
staceyneil

Japnese Maple: Crimson Queen or Tayukeyama for this spot?

Stacey Collins
13 years ago

Hi there,

I was hoping you might be able to help me. I am trying to decide between two dissectum maples and I am coming across conflicting information. Can anyone advise?

I am choosing between Crimson Queen and Tamukeyama. Both plants have high grafts, the Tamukeyama a bit higher. My concern is that I want to keep the plant fairly low, like 4-6'. It is for a foundation grouping in a space about 8' x 10' with a window at 5' that I don't want to block too much. I'm mainly concerned about the growth in the next 5 years, not 15 years from now (I know- selfish... but if I stay here I know I can prune it!). The plants are #7 gallon pots.

I have read conflicting information about growth habits, size, and growth rates between these two cultivars.

I like the color of the Tamukeyama better, and plants itself looks a bit older, but if there's a good reason to choose Crimson Queen, it's a very close second :) I'd prefer a more irregular weeping habit to a dense mound...

(The planting location is sheltered, with east exposure and shade in the afternoon. Zone 5)

Thanks so much

Comments (3)

Sponsored
Preferred General Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Fairfax County's Specialized, Comprehensive Renovations Firm