Return to the Japanese Gardens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Japanese Sky pencil holly?

Posted by jhermiz MI (My Page) on
Wed, Apr 27, 11 at 15:00

Last fall (Im in michigan) I planted 14 sky pencil holly, very nice plants they look like boxwoods but are thin pencils that seem to get up about 8-10 ft.

All was well going into the winter and even up till February. We've had a real real bad winter in michigan and it is near May now and these plants (all 14 of them) look offly dead. They are all yellow / golden brown. The leaves do NOT fall, however hte color is really yellow. Not a single piece of green in all 14 plants. Are these guys dead or should I be patient and wait to see if they turn green again?

I called a local nursery here and the lady said wait 3-5 weeks because we still have had some cold weather (50s in late april!!!).

Thoughts suggestions etc?

PS: These were planted with a good layer of good soil with some peat moss, wood chip clippings but mainly good soil.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Japanese Sky pencil holly?

• Posted by bboy USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA (My Page) on
    Tue, May 24, 11 at 21:16

Probably something haywire with the planting soil, like extreme pH or nutrient situation. Likely would have done better planted into the existing soil, without modification (other than loosening) or replacement of existing soil.

o
RE: Japanese Sky pencil holly?

Where are you in MI? I've tried those a couple of times in protected spots in Chicago to no avail.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Japanese Gardens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here