Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gardener_ks

climbing hydrangea

Gardener_KS
19 years ago

Do any of you have experience with climbing hydrangea? I understand they can be slow to get established, but do I have to worry about it eventually taking over or becoming invasive? The one I bought is called "Moonlight" Japanese Climbing Hydrangea or Schizophragma hydrangeoides. I plan to have it climb a cedar fence.

Comments (10)

• kobold
    19 years ago

I have one for maybe 10 years now. It is wonderful , considered to be the most elegant climbing plant. Very easy to prune it, after a few years you will need a good support to climb on. I've seen pictures where a garage was completely covered by the branches. The light green leaves and the white flowers are very showy. I root some of the lower branches and give it to friends. Mine is on a cedar fence too. I recommend it highly.

Andrea

• Gardener_KS
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Thanks, Andrea. If it doesn't get out of control in the great growing conditions of Vancouver, I surely don't have to worry in Kansas! I love growing plants I've seen in Japan and the Pacific NW here...everyone thinks they are so exotic! I'm looking forward to seeing how this will do. Thanks again!

• Jando_1
    19 years ago

Thanks Gardener, I hadn't thought of climbing Hydrangea and the photos I saw of your plant makes me want to have one. It's folaige is beautiful. When I did a google search it sounded like you have made a good choice. I didn't see anywhere that it was invasive, just the opposite, slow to establish then it will cover a large area. One site recomended growing it on tree trunks and said it would not harm the tree.

I can just see those silvery leaves covered in dew and sparkeling like diamonds as the early morning rays of sun touch the dew drops. Post photo's when it gets established, I bet it will really be georgeous and truly exotic!

Cheers Jando

• Ron_B
    19 years ago

Schizophragma hydrangeoides is a better value than climbing hydrangea (Hydrangea anomala petiolaris) because it is in color much longer. And with
    S. hydrangeoides 'Moonlight' you get the additional foliage color interest as well. Another good one is S. hydrangeoides 'Roseum'.

• skyridgegarden
    19 years ago

We have one here in St Louis. Slow grower for us. Someone told us that the plant is slow to grow straight up, so the suggestion was made to let the leading tip grow out to the side to gain length and then train to the support structure. Ours has been in for 2 years and is still only 3 ft high, 2 ft at planting. Ours is in heavy shade.

Good luck

• ScottReil_GD
    19 years ago

The shade would make it slower, and neither species discussed are quick, but they are the nicest vines I know, even when bare they still have a refined look. Great plant...

• nandina
    19 years ago

I have, on many occassions used it in a landscape plan growing on a smooth barked tree. Emphasis here is that the tree trunk must have a smooth bark! In time the vine can be train up the tree where it will continue to establish in the top canopy and cascade out of the tree top. A beautiful sight when it is in bloom. Also, I have seen it trained along the top of a 100' long, shaded stone wall on an old estate in northern NY. It takes kindly to pruning and follows "directions" well in the hands of a dedicated, artistic gardener.

• Gardener_KS
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Nandina, is there any worry of damage to the "host" tree?

• chiclady
    18 years ago

Will H anomala petiolaris damage the morter or brick on an vintage farmhouse? (I understand the vines will mark..I just am concerned about structural damage.) Thank you

• kobold
    18 years ago

It is recommended to make a strong support for the plant, can grow very big, cover a garage or a shed.Clinging by aerial roots, yes, I believe, that it can cause damage.

Andrea

Sponsored