Return to the Japanese Gardens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Japanese Maple leaf wilt

Posted by ptconti (My Page) on
Sat, Apr 19, 08 at 21:00

Please help! Yesterday, I purchased a Japanese Maple(Acer palmatum) at a local nursery and tranported it to my home on an open trailer. Fearful of wind damage to the tree, I wraped it in a plastic garbage bag during the half hour trip to my house and when I arrived I was dismayed that many of the newer leaves on the tree had wilted. Most of the more mature leaves seem fine. I immediately watered the tree. It it now 24 hours later and they have not recovered. Should I wait a bit longer or should I trim off the wilted leaves? Is it better to let the tree rest a couple of days before I plant it? Any helpful advice would be welcome. Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Japanese Maple leaf wilt

I will start by saying that I am not an expert, But I have grown a lot of Japanese Maples. It sounds like the tree got to hot inside the plastic bag. I would go ahead and plant and water it. leave the leaves alone and see what it does. I do not think it matters if you cut the leaves off or not. The tree should recover.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Japanese Gardens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here