Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
henrik_gw

Japanese fences

henrik
17 years ago

Hi!

I post this message here since some people might be interested. I have previously posted it on another forum.

Im trying to determine which japanese fence will look best on my back yard. I have made different sketches trying to figure it out, but it has proven to be difficult. PLease look at the two pictures below and tell me your opinion. I like the second fence best since the yotsume-gaki doesnt really fit to that particular usage...

{{gwi:1007530}}

http://img58.imageshack.us/img58/8541/yotsumegakidesignconcept3pr.jpg

{{gwi:1007531}}

what do you think? I will add plants + some stones to mask the fence a bit. So it isnt 100 % visible. For me anyways, the second fence is the one that feels most "right" to watch, and the yotsume gaki is too distracting when its this long.

/Henrik

Comments (8)

• terrestrial_man
    17 years ago

Henrik,
    I am going to be brutally frank with you in regards to your
    proposed fencing.
    Both fences suck!
    In fact having any fence in that placement is improper.
    What is the reason for a fence line there?

I think you are looking way beyond what is the focus of what you want to accomplish. I believe that the Japenese
    perspective would incorporate that fantastic view of the forest into their overview of their garden!

So what I would recommend is to focus on small areas in your garden. For example around the pool. Build a garden area around the pool that would accent the pool and direct all movement towards it. This you do with planting, structures, some fencing (open weave is one, bamboo is another), paths of wood and stone or gravel broken up with boulders that you must walk around . . . then once this has been accomplished then take a portion of that garden and moving outward from it add on a garden that will direct movement into the pool garden but has a distinctiveness of its own and perhaps some serendipitious spots that encourage taking a pause to reflect or to sit and ponder!
    Then build yet another garden that would direct movement into the garden that directs movement into the pool garden, and so on an so on building small gardens that provide both movement towards the pool garden yet have a distinctive air of its own so that a visitor's experience would be enriched just by walking through it.
    Check out this link of an oriental garden that is under construction by a fellow forum member.
    Click here to see and visit
    Do take your time and explore every link and check out every image so that you can get the feel of what is being done in this jardin oriental de clovis. The site is in french but the images say it all!!

• inlandemp47
    17 years ago

Hi,
    I'm a newbie here, but a long time lurker. If it helps you, I think that fence #1 allows the eye to continue on through to the trees beyond, while the second one stops the eye and give a back drop to the garden in front. You, like myself are dealing with a lot of space and trying to plan a way for the eye (and mind) wander(I call them for lack of a better word,small vignettes or frames)so that the garden has More interest than if it was all viewed at one time. To do that I think that the eye must stop and rest somewhere before it travels on. I guess that it depends on what you are trying to create.
    I hope that this helps,
    Karen

• henrik
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Hi!

Hmm you make a very good point. The pictures look adorable and some day perhaps I will reach there too. I think the main problem with my far side isnt obvious in the pics... and it is that there is a rather high slope down into the forrest. if my garden and the forrest both where in the same plane then i would never have built that fence, buth rather tried to incorporate the forrest into the garden.

I will study the pics and perhaps i can find a nice solution even for my site ;)

/Henrik

• terrestrial_man
    17 years ago

Hello Henrik,
    A slope! Yipes! That is a great opportunity. Most of us are
    stuck with flatland!! There are many gardens, including oriental types that are built upon a sloping terrain.
    Sounds like a natural for some running water and a waterfall or series of water falls!!! Plus terraces.
    Yipes what am I saying. Lots lots of work!!! Think my back
    is starting to ache already!!!
    Have fun but don't overdo it!!
    Cheers.

• Annie
    17 years ago

Here is my simple rustice bamboo fence by my koi pond.

It creates a simple barrier, but does not block the view or air flow.

I am constantly in the process of adding to this fence, as canes grow and become available for harvest.

I now have an unknown variety of bamboo planted nearby, and some dwarf bamboo in front of this fence and near the stepping stones. In spring, this area is filled with purple Grape Muscari Hyacinths. Over head (right) is a flowering cherry and an apple tree (left).
    It is one of my favorite garden areas.

~ SweetAnnie4u

• Annie
    17 years ago

I forgot to say, I love your water garden area! The rocks really set it off, too.
    I like the first fence, the yotsume gaki.
    Maybe a dry creek winding down from the hill to the pond. Pines and rocks; azaleas and ornamental grasses and some Japanese Iris. Maybe some Nandina (Heavenly bamboo) .

• morgandy
    17 years ago

terrestrial_man, That is the most wonderful site I've seen yet, but I'm sure now that I've joined here you guys can point me to other great landscape sites.

I agree on the fence comments, IMO, they just don't do justice for your landscape. I am still undecided on the bit of fencing I'm going to do, but here is a site I found with a couple considerations: http://www.mastergardenproducts.com/tikiprivacyfence.htm

Expensive, and probably not exactly what you're looking for, but for smaller confined areas it has a nice effect. There are other ones too, including rolled ones with nice caps. I will be interested to see what you ultimately do.

• blacky1
    17 years ago

Hi Henrik

I'm must agree with terrestrial man that the fences take away from the forest as a backgroud. I suggest you start with a focal point in the forest, such as the dark pine tree and create a dry river bed winding its way to the pond. If you have a slope you can also create a waterfall affect. At the forest edge or between the pond you could create a teahouse.You could use some fencing around the teahouse for direction and privacy. Use various size boulders, stones and pebbles. Direct the river stones or pebbles generally the same way to show the flow of water.Azaleas and boxwood brushes between boulders. An excellant book on japanese gardens is called: A Japanese Touch for your Garden by Kiyoshi Seike, Masanobu Kudo, David H. Engel. The distributor is Kodansha America Inc. Published by Kodansha International Ltd. code number: Lcc 79-66238 and ISBN-4-7700-1661-1. They also have a similar one for your home called A Japanese Touch for your home - Koji Yagi ISBN 4-7700-1662-X. You can find both on Amazon.com. Mine was thru Amazon.ca. I would not be without these books for any Japanese garden makeovers. Hope all works well.

black1

Sponsored