Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
joenouveau

Moss Covered Bridge

joenouveau
18 years ago

Hi Everyone !..I'm entirely new to this Forum and to Japanese Gardening...so expect me to make mistakes and ask "obvious' questions...I'm a total NEWBIE !!!...

I saw a photo in a book once of a small garden bridge that was (purposely) entirely covered in a thick spongey moss...like a Scotch Moss or something like that.....suitable for walking on...(it appeared as if the bridge "magically" formed itself into an arch from the surrounding moss on either side of the water)...there was no visual evidence of the underlying bridge..the entire walkway as well as the SIDES were entirely covered in moss... The accompanying article said that it was a stone bridge planted with moss-- but also mentioned that the making of stone bridges was a mostly "lost" art form...

I have been looking for a source for pre-made stone or concrete bridges (in the 4-6 foot range)...but have not found them...( I assume wood would eventually rot with the constant watering needed to keep the moss alive ? ) I did find a heavy-duty plastic bridge that I think I could use to cover in moss (it has slats for drainage) It is Made with Recycled Plastic Lumber--it looks like the sides may be molded plastic ?--(SEE THE LINK BELOW FOR A PHOTO OF THE BRIDGE made with Recycled Plastic Lumber that I AM CONSIDERING)...My question to y'all is-- any thoughts or suggestions in acheiving an entirely moss covered bridge?...If I use the plastic bridge, the walkway will be easy to plant with moss (simply lay down flats of Scotch moss or similar) ..but HOW would I get the moss to grow on the vertical SIDES of the plastic bridge ?... I thought about possibly cementing a real stone facing to the plastic bridge (giving a stone appearance)...and wondered if I could encourage moss to grow on that stone facing ?--or if there was a way to get 100% coverage directly on the textured plastic ... Your thoughts and expertise are much appreciated !!!..ALSO-- please POST photos of entirely moss-covered bridges if you have them !!! THANKS !!!!

JOE

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:1007628}}

Comments (2)