Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mrnorth4

Suggestions for pond

MrNorth4
18 years ago

Hiya!

Some time ago I posted some pics of my pond, you know the neckless thingie... During the past weeks I have "tuned" it adding more stones, building a small fall etc. I took some pics and perhaps u want to look at them and make suggestions how to enhance it further!! I hope it will some day be a decent pond for a japanese garden. With your help it might be ;) Im interested in your opinions about:

* How to remove the neckless feeling and make it natural

* How to further add plants...

* Where I should place a japanese lantern???

About the lantern, I found a local supplier who sells tehse, but they cost a fortune... I dont want to buy one unless I have a very good idea on where it should be... PLease also suggest the TYPE of latern I should use (yukimigata, oki gata. tachi gata) ...

Pond full size :

http://www.odla.nu/album/data/mrnorth/1594_p26345.jpg

fall

http://www.odla.nu/album/data/mrnorth/1594_p26344.jpg

another view

http://www.odla.nu/album/data/mrnorth/1594_p26349.jpg

thank you so much!

Henrik

Comments (5)

• Herb
    18 years ago

Henrik - The assortment of stones is an improvement, but to get away more from the necklace effect I think you need to have some rocks jutting into the pond, to break up the shoreline. Here are four pictures of the sort of thing I have in mind. As for lanterns, I suggest something fairly small and simple. The one I've put in the fourth picture is a small Misaki style one, but I'm biased because I made it!
    Herb
    Click here so see the pictures

• MrNorth4
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thank you!! Im not sure I will be able to transport such big stones, but I can try with two smaller ones instead!

I really like the idea of the "peninsúla" and the placement of the lantern. Im not sure I can make it like that because it is rather deep at the place u put the lantern... but I can sure try. It will cost a lot of stone though :)

Do you think there are enough plants? I dont have any japanese maple... and I have plans to buy one but im not sure where it will fit in....

Thanks!
    Henrik

• Herb
    18 years ago

I hope you won't let my suggestions for stone - or peninsula - placement confine you to those places - I was only making the point that I think it would be nice to have some bits of the shoreline jut out into the pond. I agree that more plants will enhance the view - perhaps a low-growing Japanese Maple could be planted where some of the foliage could hang over the water's edge for example, but where you planted it would depend on what rock arrangement you end up with. There may be other spots where you could have some native plants that normally grow in or near water - e.g. rushes or bullrushes.

Herb

• MrNorth4
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Hi!

Yes I will add some more "green" to my pond, aspecially ground covers like grasses or/and hosta. I planted some astillbe near teh waterfall, sadly it hasn't reached full size yet to be visible on the photo. It will make a nice background I think.

But I dont want to add LOTS of more things to the garden, otherwise I might damage the "balanced" clean look a japanese garden has... As you may notice I added a magnolia as the "focus" tree of the pond... I just hope I made the right choice... so it won't cover all the other plants.... (the left flowerbed on the pic)

thanks
    Henrik

• MrNorth4
    Original Author
    18 years ago

A question... what kind of "Tree" or scrub is appropriate to have at the top of that waterfall hill? It should look like a mountain with a huge river....

/henrik

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting