Return to the Japanese Gardens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What is a Field Nursery?

Posted by Love_the_Yard z9A Jax FL (My Page) on
Tue, May 31, 05 at 9:39

In an article, it says "Japanese Maples have a reputation for transplanting from a field nursery poorly, but root pruned plants and those from containers should do well." What is a field nursery? Does that mean it was grown in the ground as opposed to a pot or container?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What is a Field Nursery?

Yes - that is what it means.

They are dug mechanically and then "balled and burlapped". I think it may apply to more trees than just J-maples. It depends upon the quality of the job, if they get regular watering @ the nursery after being removed from the ground and if planted correctly. When they are dug some roots are removed and damaged whereas in a pot all roots are intact, but I think the most important point is that it still depends upon the quality of care of all stages in the pipeline from grower to you.

I have had good success moving and transplanting my own around my place.

o
RE: What is a Field Nursery?

• Posted by Ron_B USDA 8 WA (My Page) on
    Sat, Jun 4, 05 at 13:35

For a related discussion...

Here is a link that might be useful: The Myth of Fragile Roots

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Japanese Gardens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here