Return to the Japanese Gardens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
two trees in one??

Posted by judiegal z5MA (My Page) on
Wed, May 27, 09 at 10:21

I Posted this on the Tree forum and was suggested I post here.I have 2 Japanese maples Both are several years old. One is large and green with red tips. The other is a red lace leaf weeping variety. The red tree suddenly has a branch sprouting from the main trunk that is from the green tree. I am just curious as to how this happens naturally? I was told to prune it off as it may overtake the red tree.

Red Lace Leaf Maple and Green Maple with red tinge on the tips of the leavesRed Japanese Maple

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: two trees in one??

I'm not an expert, but since no one else has answered, I'll give you my best guess since I have had some experience with them.

Most weeping JM's are grafted onto another JM root stock. It's possible the original base has sprouted. Look at the base of the trunk and see if there is a knot where the weeping part was grafted. If the green shoot is from that area, that's likely what happened. It should be pruned out because it could cause problems for the tree.

Beautiful JM's BTW.

o
RE: two trees in one??

• Posted by bboy z8 WA USA (My Page) on
    Fri, Jun 5, 09 at 3:01

Both the rootstock and the nearby free-standing specimen are wild-type green Japanese maples and that is why they look similar.

They are not a single individual that has somehow gotten under the weeping red laceleaf maple.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Japanese Gardens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here