Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
picaroon

Cloud pruning Ornamental Scots Pine

picaroon
16 years ago

Hi,

I've been researching pruning online and in books but I'm getting conflicting (and vague) advice everywhere I look.

I have an ornamental Scots Pine, 7 or 8 feet tall (see below) that was pruned/shaped by the nursery nicely, and I want to keep it healthy and ideally the same size and shape for as long as possible. This is the second year I've had it- last year out of ignorance I let the candles grow out and then heavily trimmed the cloud pads. Fortunately the tree still looks healthy this year.

Anyway, some resouces tell me to leave the candles until they grow out, others tell me to remove the middle candle, some say to pinch, others to cut. Others say pinch then cut later, its ridiculous. I'm hoping someone with a lot of experience here can tell me exactly what to do to my tree this year so that I don't mess anything up. I spent a lot of money on it and I'm really afraid of killing it..

Below are some photos I took this morning showing how the candles currently look. They're several inches long but no new needles yet.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

{{gwi:1007716}}
{{gwi:1007718}}

Comments (4)