Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mrnorth4

Some more thoughts from my garden.

MrNorth4
18 years ago

Today the weather has been wonderful and I got the chance to take some more photos of things im not happy with. I have some ideas too on how to make it better... but some of your feedback is needed, because I ahve no one else skilled in japanese gardening to bouce ideas with... (as u may have noticed hehe)

1) Unwanted view. Please look at this photo below

http://www.odla.nu/album/data/mrnorth/1431_p26445.jpg

Im standing on my deck and the view is of my neighbours scrappy garden... he has all kinds of things, old cars, lots wood, a rusty small supplyhouse etc etc.

Needless to say, I want it GONE!!! The red thing u can see on the far left is my garage. I have two solutions...

* Hedge... I can plant a thuja hedge. Rather expensive

* I can build a fence about 2 meters high. Rather expensive, I need building permit and it isn't so pretty.

Im thinking about the thuja since it is more attractive... BUT a fence in combination with the correct plants is also rather attractive. And I dont ahve to wait for the hedge to grow... How would a japanes gardener enhance this view?

2) The "main" view from the deck is of course the pond. But behind the pond there is only the forrest, and 4 meters of grass between the forrest and the pond. PLease look at this picture

http://www.odla.nu/album/data/mrnorth/1431_p26447.jpg

The rocks is the fall in the pond. And as u can see it is a rather boring background with only the forrest like a wall. I want somethign to soften up the background, perhaps 2-3 pines´of different sizes planted somewhere between the pond and the forrest? Any suggestions?

Thats all from me now ;) Cya

thanks

Henrik

Comments (4)

• Herb
    18 years ago

Henrik,

This website includes hundreds - maybe thousands - of pictures of Japanese gardens. If you haven't seen it before, it may give you some ideas. Look down the columns headed 'Location' & look for anything with the word 'garden'. Herb
    Click here

• MrNorth4
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Ahh thank you! I ahve never seen that before. I will have a look. Oh, what do you think about this "path".. is it out of place or should I keep it?

http://www.odla.nu/album/data/mrnorth/1431_p26480.jpg

and what do you think of the flowerbed in general?

kind regards
    Henrik

• Cytania
    18 years ago

Photo1 - actually your neighbours junk piles are really neat by British standards but screening them out is a good idea. Do your local laws allow a fence of 2 metres or so? If so you could try for bamboo panels or take a leaf out of Keiran Egan's fence design.

If not consider either a neat hedge (is beech any good in Sweden?) or planting to create an informal effect that does the same job eg. a stand of bamboo, select trees.

*Just noticed you can't do much of the above. Look for friends with old conifers that they dislike. Offer to remove them for free. Carefully transplant and then prune back hard to create bonsai look ;-)

Photo2- In some Japanese gardens you will see perspective tricks played with forests like this. Smaller planting is put in front of the pines to trick the eye into see a bigger more dramatic forest farther away.

Another way of reforming the 'wall effect' is to put in a feature such as a teahouse. This should be in a good spot to review the rest of the garden from and be good-looking in it's own right.

Photo 3- The path doesn't really go anywhere so feels odd. The lantern isn't too bad and if well placed with plants should look right. Planting is a bit new but do remove the labels. I haven't ever seen a japanese garden photo with labels on the plants (sometimes boards to tell visitors things but not plant tags). I keep my tags in a notebook with a sketch plan.

• MrNorth4
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Hi!

Thank you for the great ideas!!

About the path... The idea was that the path would be leading up to the lantern... Paerhaps a bad idea...

And the labels... these plants are about 2 weeks old... And I always keep the labels on for about 1 season to memorize its names (im bad with names).

About the beech, yeah that is a very common tree in Sweden. But im not sure it will make a good screen. When it grow older the stem will become higher... and it will no longer screen the view ;)

I was thinking about planting decidious trees like pines, cornifers thuja etc... but when buying those they are small and very expensive.... and I have to wait for 10 years before reaching the size... and sadly most people I know threw away their big cornifers years ago (they built their houses in the 80's).

I will take one action to start with, go to my fathers forrest and find 3-5 smaller pines that I will plant in the lawn between the pond and forrest. That will create a great view I think!

And the rest I have to think about ;)

cya
    Henrik

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting