Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bluegreenie

Alternative to Japanese Maple

bluegreenie
14 years ago

I've got a modern house outside of Chicago, and I'd like to make my landscape modern as well (not prairie). My first idea is a Japanese Maple, but the site for it has unrelenting afternoon sun -- a straight West exposure. I also thought pagoda dogwood, but I believe that's a shade tree. And Nandina isn't meant for zone 5. Any ideas? I really like horizontal branching and a lacy look. I have some Viburnum mariesii, but I don't think they'd get tall enough. I need 8-15'.

Thanks for any help!

Comments (2)

• Carole Westgaard
    14 years ago

I also live in Chicagoland and after losing three Japanese Maples to the northwest wind, I tried Sambuca both 'Sutherland Gold' and 'Black Lace'. Sutherland is now four years old and ten feet high - Black Lace is two years old and I've kept that one shorter and shrubbier because I need the shade in that spot for hosta. They are actually giant shrubs but I've been pruning the heck out of them and they're gorgeous - look just like JM's.

Westy

• wwangatwork
    14 years ago

Maybe it's the wind or something else, but I have multiple Japanese maples in sunrise til about 7pm sunlight here in Virginia. Once they got established, there's hardly been any scalding on the leaves.

Warren

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!