Return to the Japanese Gardens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Alternative to Japanese Maple

Posted by bluegreenie 5 (My Page) on
Wed, May 20, 09 at 17:35

I've got a modern house outside of Chicago, and I'd like to make my landscape modern as well (not prairie). My first idea is a Japanese Maple, but the site for it has unrelenting afternoon sun -- a straight West exposure. I also thought pagoda dogwood, but I believe that's a shade tree. And Nandina isn't meant for zone 5. Any ideas? I really like horizontal branching and a lacy look. I have some Viburnum mariesii, but I don't think they'd get tall enough. I need 8-15'.

Thanks for any help!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Alternative to Japanese Maple

I also live in Chicagoland and after losing three Japanese Maples to the northwest wind, I tried Sambuca both 'Sutherland Gold' and 'Black Lace'. Sutherland is now four years old and ten feet high - Black Lace is two years old and I've kept that one shorter and shrubbier because I need the shade in that spot for hosta. They are actually giant shrubs but I've been pruning the heck out of them and they're gorgeous - look just like JM's.

Westy

o
RE: Alternative to Japanese Maple

Maybe it's the wind or something else, but I have multiple Japanese maples in sunrise til about 7pm sunlight here in Virginia. Once they got established, there's hardly been any scalding on the leaves.

Warren

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Japanese Gardens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here