Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
into_the_woods

Leucosceptrum, Plant Information Wanted

Into_the_woods
18 years ago

Does anyone have information about Leucosceptrum japonicum 'Variegatum'?

I was rooting through the abandoned, underpotted, orphan plants at Rutgers Gardens cold frames (not a nursery, it is the display garden for Cook College of Rutgers University, New Brunswick, NJ.) Along with Chinonthus, Rosa omiensis, one of those maples with a Russian species name (maximowscii or something close to that) I spotted what looked like a small / stunted variegated hydrangea. The label names it Leucosceptrum japonicum 'Variegatum' and its not in Owhi's Flora. A quick Google search didn't turn up much, just a Glasshouse Works listing which says it is woody and tender.

The plant I have is either a die-back shrub or herbaceous, and a reliable source said it spent the last winter or two completely unprotected except for wood chips piled around its pot.

It's cute. I like it. And I want to do right by it. So TIA for whatever you can tell me.

regards

Into the Woods

Comments (6)

• Herb
    18 years ago

When I looked Leucosceptrum japonicum 'Variegatum' up on the Internet I got the impression that it's a tropical plant. But when I look at the leaves, it reminds me very much of Aegopodium podagraria (q.v. - also try Google Images). Our next door neighbours have a bed of Aegopodium podagraria growing on the north side of their house & I think it looks very handsome & have persuaded them to give me a few clumps. Since then, several people have warned me that it spreads rather vigorously & that I'll never get rid of it, but it looks so nice that I'm going to persist with it.....

• Into_the_woods
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thanks for your reply to my request Herb. I've been looking on Google, and asking for translation of these ?????? sites, in Japanese. Though some of the information comes across as, hmmm, let's call it poetical rather than literal translation, I think that the following is accurate.

Leucosceptrum japonicum is called celestial grass, as the Japanese character for its name looks like the Chinese character with that meaning. It is a herbaceous plant with a woody sub-base that can reach 100 cm. tall Celestial grass grows at the edges of deciduous woodland, and has a bottlebrush-like flower spike in October.

And now that we've gotten some rain here in New Jersey (the first since May 3rd) I feel happier about planting it into the garden, now that I have a better idea of where it should go / what it likes for growing conditions.

What I don't understand is something that was translated on multiple sites as "ti Soviet course." Any ideas?

Aegopodium podagraria on the other hand, common name bishop's goutweed, is a plant with territorial ambitions. It is a handsome plant, but can be very difficult to evict from the garden once it has settled in.

happy gardening from
    Into the Woods

• Herb
    18 years ago

My guess is that "ti Soviet course" is an attempted translation from the Japanese plus a mis-spelling. Maybe the original was an attribution of the pictures to a Russian source?

• Into_the_woods
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Leucosceptrum IS in Owhi's "Flora". My eyes must have been glazed over with excitement at obtaining the plant. It is not, however, listed in Ran Levy-Yaamamori and Gerard Taaffe's "Garden Plants of Japan."

• carol23_gw
    18 years ago

Asiatica has a photo of it. I purchased a plant a couple of years ago at a nursery in Lancaster County, PA

Here is a link that might be useful: variegated Leucosceptrum

• complicity
    7 years ago

I have and am growing very successfully in Zone 6b, mid-border. Extremely handsome 3-season structural shrub. Blooms late August early September, though the yellow flowers are relatively insignificant. 36" tall and wide. Purchased from Blanchette's in Carlisle, MA, before they closed. Long to obtain additional stock; meanwhile, will propagate. Does anyone have a source?

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths