Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
samtom_gw

Bench to go at entry way

samtom_gw
18 years ago

I'm wanting to get a Japanese style bench to use by our front door. I'll be in Atlanta, GA over this coming weekend.

Does anyone know of a place in metro Atlanta where I amy find something of that nature?

Thanks in advance.

Tom

Comments (7)

• MrNorth4
    18 years ago

i think you should ask yourself "what is a japanese style"... there are many hundred kinds of benshes used in japanese gardens... all from elegant marble to just a wooden board over two smooth rocks. What is the specific tone in the scene where you want the bench? Is it a zen garden with just a few stones? Then perhaps a bench in cut granite is better, but if it is a tea garden then you should have something simple in wood I think. The woest thing you can do is to make the bench look out of place. Same is for all items such as lanterns... remember wabi/sabi...

And most of the benches except for the ones in smooth cut granite you can make yourself. Kind regards

/Henrik

• samtom_gw
    Original Author
    18 years ago

I appreciate Henrik's response. It's now apparent I should have been clearer in my request for information.
    We're looking for a rather simple wooden bench without a back no longer than 52". As it will face the elements,
    we prefer a finsih that will weather well.

I do not have the tools nor inclination to make it myself.
    We live in a rural area of North Florida, so we take advantage of the shopping that larger metropolitian areas like Atlanta offers.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

• bahamababe
    18 years ago

Why not give it a back so the bench will be comfortable? Benches without backs are less so.

• samtom_gw
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Bahamababe,

This bench is not necessarily for sitting, but placing a bonsai or other potted plant on one end and the other area is for setting down packages while you unlock the front door.

Thanks for your comments.

Tom

• Cady
    18 years ago

I found a really beautiful though simple Chinese bench - made from elm I think - that is over 100 years old with a lovely patina from use. You can find them on E-Bay and in Asian import/antique shops for around $100 (if you avoid the fancy high rent stores). Leave it untreated in a sheltered place (under and overhang, for instance), or coat it annually with a clear protective oil if outdoors in the open.

It's not Japanese, but it has a wabi-sabi sense that I love. Something about old, worn but sturdy wooden furniture that brings out the spirit of a garden.

• oldgardenwench
    18 years ago

I found a nice simple one at Target online. It was reasonable in price...

• michael_p
    18 years ago

tom,
    i ran into a similar problem of finding one as well with an oriental feel. so as a hobby woodworker i designed and build my own. there are picks of it on my website (the my works page, oriental cedar garden bench)
    contact me by the email address on the site if you want more info
    michael

Here is a link that might be useful: autumnskyoriginals

Sponsored