Return to the Japanese Gardens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Sealing a Bamboo Fence

Posted by jeff_90254 10 CA (My Page) on
Thu, Jun 1, 06 at 1:05

Im building a yarai style bamboo fence. I know these dont last forever so I was wondering what I can use to increase its life. My plan was to cut the canes just above a node and install that end up (actually at a 45 degree angle). This way I wont trap water, breed mosquitos, or encourage rot. I was also going to paint the outside of the bamboo with a clear satin Varathane (polyurethane). Im wondering how to seal the ends though. Ive read about filling them with wax, caulk, or even acrylic fiberglass resin. The easiest route would be a few coats of Varathane in the ends as well. Any thoughts or suggestions. Is there a better coating? Thanks.

Jeff

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Sealing a Bamboo Fence

Jeff, I've done alot of exterior woodwork for a very well known Japanese Landscape Architect, trained in Japan. I've watched him build many very nice bamboo fences, and he uses spar varnish. Coats everything, even the black ties. Problem with varnish, and verathane though, is you need to sand, and recoat every year, and who's going to do that?

They do make a 2 part 'lineal' verathane that does last a lot longer then the regular verathane, but it is expensive.

o
RE: Sealing a Bamboo Fence

What is the product name of the lineal verathane. Where can i purchase ?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Japanese Gardens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here