Return to the Japanese Gardens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
place of gardens in modern Japanese culture

Posted by firefly24 (My Page) on
Sat, Jun 10, 06 at 3:06

I recently traveled to Japan and had the oportunity to visit numerous temples and gardens. They sparked my interest in the signifigance of the gardens in the culture. Obviously they were hugely important in Japan's past, but what place, if any, do the gardens play in Japan's modern culture? Or have the gardens evolved into some new form that is equally as important?
I would love to hear people's thoughts!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: place of gardens in modern Japanese culture

I am somewhat dumbfounded by your thread. Shouldn't this be posed to your hosts in Japan??

I have never been to Japan except as a viewer watching
The Last Samuari! Though I have known many Japanese and have called several friend it would be impossible for me to be able to make any kind of comments about the place of a garden in Japan.

However from what information that I have encountered and what can be found out over the net the basis of any observations have to center around the current realities that modern day Japanese face on a day to day basis. The underlying force in Japan has been Westernization and coupled to it a fierceness in capitalistic ventures. As you know the nature of housing in Japan is simply unimaginable in the USA. Theirs is not a Karate Kid rub on/rub off setting with spaciousness and distinct old style gardens. Such as the exclusive domain of the elites in the nation.
While the gardens you visited are honored they are honored because they are so unique since the availability of space in Japan is so limited and very costly. However, one example of a garden of sorts is the manner in which bonsai growers in Japan keep their plants in a common garden with other bonsai growers (sat on a platform and chained/padlocked to it). Perhaps the only truism would be that the gardens of Japan are the techno displays and the buildings that are the day to day realities of the Japanese peoples.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Japanese Gardens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here