Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
japzen

Japanese Gardens Manual

Russ Chard
16 years ago

Hi,

I am in the process of compiling a manual for Japanese Gardens- all aspects.

I would really like to hear from you with your ideas on what sort of information you would find useful to read about on the subject of Japanese and Zen gardens.

I apprciate your response in advance!

Thanks

Japzen

Comments (4)

• dwightfloyd
    16 years ago

pruning , especially pines

• stevega
    16 years ago

I think that it would be most interesting and beneficial if you were able to take 10+ examples of well designed gardens and explain their design from the large abstract concept down to how the details accomplish the concept. For example start with the overall purpose of the garden and how it is supposed to make you feel and what you are supposed to see at various locations. Then break down those locations and identify the garden items that create that feeling and should be observed.
    This is a pretty tall order. The books that I have read seem to fall short of explaining and identifying the overall purpose and feeling. Without understanding the overall concept, the reader is left to copy miscellaneous items that he or she likes but their end result lacks the purpose and unity that makes the examples whole.
    Dwightfloyd's pruning request could be covered by explaining/showing the difference between the pruned and unpruned specimen in an example. Don't just show the difference but explain why it is better. This will enable the reader to prune their pines to enhance their gardens.
    It would also complete the exercise to take and area of a size available to gardeners (20'X30'?)and construct an example Japanese garden using the principles that you have explained in the "manual".
    Good luck

• elphaba_gw
    16 years ago

"landscaping the emptiness"
    I don't know where I got this from, maybe here but it really brought home to me the reason I find "Japanese inspired" or "zen" gardens so much more beautiful than the cottage gardens or "plant zoos" that are so prevalent. The plant zoos are certainly fun for the owner of the garden and satisfying because you can put flowers wherever there is space but as far as aesthetically, I don't think they compare. And what is most important, it is the aesthetics (at least for me) that really makes the garden contribute to my own mental health.

So..bottom line - try to include something about this concept. I think there may be others that will have an "epiphany" when they hear the phase, understanding instantly that "YES, that is what I want to make sure to include."

• Russ Chard
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Hello again,

Thank you to everyone who posted answering my query for contents in my new manual on Japanese gardens. Some really good suggestions!!

I have a very extensive Japanese gardens Blog that is updated daily at www.japzen.wordpress.com

I would love you to look at it.
    I am also compiling a very large gallery of photo's of Japanese gardens and anyone who lets me use some of theirs will get a FREE copy of it. My direct e mail is zeniboltd@aol.com
    Have a great day

Japzen

Here is a link that might be useful: http://www.japzengardens.org

Sponsored
Custom Premiere Design-Build Contractor | Hilliard, OH