Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tim_moose

It's So Boring I've Defected to Japanese Gardening ;-)

tim_moose
19 years ago

See link.

Rats, the flash shows up the join!

I can make one in an hour now.

Hurry, hurry, hurry, place your orders here

:-)

Here is a link that might be useful: Lanterns

Comments (27)

• tim_moose
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Sorry people this was supposed to be on bonsaiforum

DOH!

• Cady
    19 years ago

LOL
    Well, you can stir things up here, too, if you like.

• yama
    19 years ago

Hi Tim
    this link keep you busy for a while. ......... mike

Here is a link that might be useful: about Japan

• yama
    19 years ago

Hi all
    it is very intresting posting . check it up

Here is a link that might be useful: Bonsai forum

• yama
    19 years ago

Hi tim
    I can keep you busy :):) :) ...........mike.

Here is a link that might be useful: shinto shrine

• yama
    19 years ago

Hi tim
    I enjoied your web site . I am not a good cook, and canot give you any recipe but give your countryman's name who contributed early Japanese architecture and Japanese garden
    . you may able to find your lost pens in Japanese garden forum too.
    regard ............ mike

Here is a link that might be useful: Josia Conder

• yama
    19 years ago

Hi tim
    I am sorry that annoyed you. I will go away. no more posting. by the way, I have an article of bonsi when bonsai were introduced to England first time over one hundred years ago. it is verey intresting how British thought about it when they see bonsai.
    please enjoy your bonsi and life.( I enjoy your web sit and your writeing )............... mike

• tim_moose
    Original Author
    19 years ago

You didn't annoy me, and I don't know where you got the idea that you did. In fact you have been very helpful thankyou.

• yama
    19 years ago

Hi tim

also check "Donald Keen" he is still live .he recently visit his a freind in Georgia who happen to be my customer and my mentor.lists of his books will amaze you in many way. you can find more information useing internet reserch about Koizumi yakumo . .......... mike

Here is a link that might be useful: koizumi yakumo /Englishman

• yama
    19 years ago

Hi tim
    soory I miss spelled name of Keene Sensi.
    Donald Keene, he was born in England. live in New youk now.
    I am for sure that your local library should have at least few books of Keene sensei....mike

• yama
    19 years ago

Hi ..tim
    I am going off from Gw for a while . no more posting here or there.. take care. mike

• tim_moose
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Getting the hang of working with granite a bit more.

The picture more or less says it all.

I'll make myself a couple to sit on my bonsai shelves.

Here is a link that might be useful: Small Guide Stone/Lantern

• Jando_1
    19 years ago

Nice Job Tim!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Cheers Jando

• Cady
    19 years ago

Ditto. Beautiful.
    Tim, did you hollow out the lantern box with a chisel and mallet, and use a diamond saw for the precision stuff?

• tim_moose
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Other way round.

I have a source of abandoned granite kerbstone/blocks (dumped in my rugby club car park) that are the right thickness and texture already.

I score a line around the block about an inch deep on all sides with a diamond cutter.

Tap a couple of wide chisels /bolsters into the cut to split the block into a 4 x 4 inch pillars.

The fresh split-off face then becomes the front. Used the same method to take the top off and notched it out with a diamond cutter finishing off with a scutch hammer to remove the saw marks.

Any smooth sawn edges are knocked off with a 4lb hammer and cold chisel.

The top is glued back on with epoxy.

The saw cut where the top came off is disguised with clear silicon seal and carefully placed granite shards produced by bashing up bits of off-cuts.

Ideally IÂd like to keep in one piece.

This would mean using a diamond core drill and a big drilling unit to form the light box and a lot of careful chiseling - very laborious.

This way is easier and the results aren't too bad.

Glad you like it thanks!

• Cady
    19 years ago

Thank you for the explanation. Duh...I meant it the other way 'round, but somehow managed to swap order for the chisel and the cutter. Good thing I didn't make coffee by putting coffee grounds in the hot water, this morning. ;)

Your website is a fun place. I hope you keep adding photos to it with each new project.

We have lots of granite in New England also. A lot of it is made into curbing/kerbing, so you can get the long, rectangular blocks. I have been wanting to try making lanterns from them. But, a diamond cutter can cost a pretty penny (more like a couple thousand dollars US).

• tim_moose
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Nah.................... what you want is an 4 inch and a 9 or 12 inch angle grinder.

The big box DIY stores sell "own brand" ones here for about $75 upwards. The 9" diamond cutting blade is about $25 in the UK.

Gee I shop in the States once every 5 years or so at that well know hyper hyper market and everything is mucho cheapo there.

Give it a go. Maybe I'll stick a plan/guide on the site.

Here is a link that might be useful: The Well Known Yellow Brand is Only $200

• Cady
    19 years ago

Thank you! Louis William gave me some good advice, too, on tools. Dunno why I only saw the most expensive ones... That's the last thing a beginner should be looking at. ;)

• gregoryjohn
    19 years ago

If you are going to do any amount of stone carving in granite, I would strongly recommend you look into these fine carbide tipped chisels and tools. Carbide will last 30 to 50 times longer than cold formed steel. There is also some good instructional info on this web site. :)

Greg

Here is a link that might be useful: Stone Carving Tools

• tim_moose
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Have been doing some research and couldn't agree more Greg. Only messing around at the moment.

Ideally I'd like to keep in one piece and pierce the light box hole rather than notch out and glue back together.

A diamond drill is probably the only quick answer.

More expense - Hey Ho!

• PaulMax
    19 years ago

Tim

Have you thought about compressed air hammers?

They are like mini jack hammers and hold small cold chisels.

Paul

• tim_moose
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Sorry Paul, just back off hols.

Possible if I worked in a field and not outside the house.

A diamond core drill and a big drill would be the easy answer.

Line em all up, hire the kit, drill the holes and do the chiseling out at my leisure.

• yama
    19 years ago

Hi Tim
    your name is sama as my favor nephew and you are intrsting fellow. :):):)
    try to GW test forum ,if it is intresting for you.
    Please let's me know how you think about it. mike

• tim_moose
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Thanks Mike.

Is Sama polite?

;-)

Started 2 more rustic guidestone lanterns this weekend but forgot to take pics of the process of splitting the granite block.

Will photo the rest of the process and post in my photo gallery. If anyone is interested it will be there in a week or so.

• yama
    19 years ago

Hi Tim
    I am so embarrasseed : " Same as " is word I was going to write. hehehe..... my misspeling entertained you. ;););)

what is co incedent.
    I am studying Korean Buddhism now to understand our culture and Japanese garden better. I just find out "sama" is korean word . In Korean it is "Samma" . word of samma added next to monk's name in ancent time. I am not 100% for sure this yet. The book of korean Buddhism written by Korean monk had written very short about it. I am going to visit to Korean laundry to ask ower how to pronance it correctly.
    Tim- San is casual way . Tim- sama is more formal.

I am glad that my misspelling did not make you mad but smile. ( I am puling your short from behind to keep you here :) :) :))
    mike

• tim_moose
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Haven't been able to put together a decent sequence of photos on the pillar lantern process as yet but have posted the latest 2 pieces in the Gallery if anyone is interested.

• yama
    19 years ago

Hi Tim
    Yes , I am intrested.
    You have posted about pruning of pine tree. I was going to respond to your posting . but decide not to.
    I may offend you or lead into meaning less debate on GW.
    If you are intrested my opinion , I am happy to send you e mail about it or it is ok with you, I will post it J garden forum.

In Augst posting of yours to Cady . I like it .
    Since Cady is my girl, any one good to Cady is freind of mine . ....................................mike

Sponsored
Elegant Kitchen and Bath
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars13 Reviews
VA & DC's Finest General Contractor