Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
phil234

Anderson Angels

phil234
18 years ago

I was disturbed at the JOJG stance on the Angels. There is a small mostly uncaredfor garden at U Maine Orono. It has some nice trees and shrubs good ideas but mostly uncared for. A charm nontheless. This year a pole appeared encased in plastic with something about world peace in four diferent languages. OK it was awfull but for world peace I can put up with that gladly.Thats not all three statues of Children Playing in the garden! I lost it keep them off the rocks! away from the mosses and plantings! Stay on the paths! I felt like I was as bad as the JOJG :( Guessing a well meaning alumnus donated:(

I liked the Angels , like World peace, but Children playing?

Comments (6)

• DonPylant
    18 years ago

Phil234, your post may be more than it appears! A few evenings when I was hacking on the trees in the nursery behind my teacher's house, he would say,

"don-san, ike mashoka?" (Was it, " Don, are you ready to go?", or "Don, are you ready to quit hacking my trees?" I don't want to know)

Anyway, I was always "Ready" to see what he had in store.

Out the gate, up the hill, what do I see but a post on the left about 2 m tall with something like "avenue of world peace" in 4 different languages, one on each side? I photographed it and filed the vision in my mental "Japan anomalies" file. Then, as usual, was overwhelmed by what I saw further up the path.

Thanks for the vision! Can you post a photo?

• phil234
    Original Author
    18 years ago

http://www.pivot.net/~proberts/index.html
    I changed my page to the Orono Garden Images numbered CPIC 7,9,and 22 are the peace pose and the statue

Perhaps every garden should have a like Post :)

• Archer55
    18 years ago

You can see some strange things in Japan, but giant angel statues aren't one of them. I think JOJG's stance was about right.

• didgeridoo
    18 years ago

I think the intent of these ideas are noble, but they lack the tactfulness that reflects the style of the Japanese garden. Giant bronze angles watching over the garden may be intended to give the viewer a feeling of security and connection with spirituality, but is there a more subtle and universal way to give the same impression...perhaps metaphorically. The post is there to voice the intent of world peace, but isnt the garden itself a tool for creating peace? By creating peace in your life you will contribute to world peace, the pole is a bit redundant. And the bronze children were probably intended to create a happy, playful atmosphere in the garden. This intent can certainly be integrated into a Japanese garden, but maybe it can be done in a more subtle way, perhaps through the relationship and interaction of plants and elements within the garden. These ornaments are an instant and easy, but superficial way to create a garden atmosphere, like many of the Japanese ornaments which are overly or improperly used. What is needed is some serious meditative thought on how to creatively manifest your intent in the garden, while abiding to the parameters of the style. The designers touch should be a subtle voice in the garden, which can only be heard when the mind has quieted down.

-christian

• DonPylant
    18 years ago

The similar post I saw in Kyoto was not in a garden. It was on the lane just outside the Bamboo Temple garden.

• Herb
    18 years ago

The angel statues are perhaps notable works of art in themselves, but in that setting, they look (to me) entirely out of place.

Various countries have parks that include sculptures. I think that the Anderson angels would be better placed in a park of that sort.

Sponsored