Return to the Japanese Gardens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
bamboo ladle?

Posted by MrNorth4 Sweden ZOne 1 (My Page) on
Wed, Jun 15, 05 at 8:12

Does anyone know how to make a bamboo ladle like this:

http://www.japanesegifts.com/images/ladel6.jpg

I find it impossible to find anyone to buy at a reasonable cost (not more than 15 euros).. So I was thinking about making one by myself. So if anyone has ideas on how to make them, then im all ears ;)

kind regards
henrik - trying to bring the missing piece to the tsukubai

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: bamboo ladle?

Hida Tool (hidatool.com) sells a wooden bowled ladle for a very reasonable price. You may need to call them as I don't know if they offer it on line. The veneer and bamboo ladles are hard to make, don't last long outdoors, and are indeed expensive.

o

Okay, thanks :( If I had bamboo thick enough, I should try and make one myself ;)

/henrik

o

hi Henrik,
I make my own,they are very easy to make if you have the right size bamboo, I maybe lucky but I can buy plenty here in the UK in fact I have just bought two 6' pieces today.
take a look at this link it shows one that I made recently. http://koi-z-are-us.20m.com/shishi.htm
George.

Here is a link that might be useful: George's Japanese Garden

o

You can get a decent priced bamboo ladle at http://www.mastergardenproducts.com/bambooladle.htm

Here is a link that might be useful: bamboo ladle

o

• Posted by yama 7b Ga (My Page) on
    Tue, Nov 25, 08 at 23:38

Hi Henric
Many of us move to myjapanesegarden.org. Visit to the web site.
We use Madake, hachiku, and moso to make ladle. Moso bamboo is ofeten used to make ladle because of thickness of wall. After few months to few years it will split. You can treat mamboo with PEG wich prevent spliting. When you drill hole,dril strait ,after tip of dril get into bamboo wall, then chenge angle. if you try to dril angle first, tip of dril bit will slip off. you might want to use masking tape also. to make handle fit, you need to use knif to adjust hole to make handle fit.( or handle)

Many peoples like you.if you visit to myjapanesegarden.org
Edzard will help you gradly.
yama

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Japanese Gardens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here