Return to the Japanese Gardens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Garden Gate Materials Question

Posted by kritter64 z5 IL (My Page) on
Thu, Jun 30, 05 at 11:00

Hello. First time poster, first time Japanese-inspired gardener. I want to build a very minimal gate as an entrance to my backyard and eventual garden. May seem a silly question, but I was thinking of using clear cedar for support posts/frame and bamboo in the gate door. Is mixing materials like this "ok" to do? My design is certainly not authentic - simply Japanese "inspired" but I want it to have an appropriate look. Thanks for any/all input!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Garden Gate Materials Question

I saw some very nice fences made with cedar slats that had bamboo between them.

o

kritter64,..
actually mixing materials to express and provide a feeling is the idea of the Japanese garden. In this way, you are being authentic rather than merely inspired (shin-gyo-so).
In turn recycling, would be even more authentic, by using an old material in a new way. This would reflect the concept of mitate-mono.
for a more 'relaxed' appearance you could use two old tree trunks and the bamboo. For more refinement, your posts would be highly polished.
Mixing and matching shows the creative expression of yourself to others... that is what Japanese gardens are all about.
Addressing the question, "what is beauty".
edzard

o

Thanks, Bambooo and Edzard, for your quick responses. I have a follow on question: I'm looking for some very simple hinges for my gate and having trouble finding them. I've seen them on gates at the Anderson Japanese Gardens in Rockford, IL but they use authentic parts from Japan. These hinges are very simple - essentially a hook and eye design. Anyone have any good sources for Japanese hardware - hinges, latches, etc? Thanks again!!

o

I'd like some sources for authentic Japanese hardware too !

o

• Posted by kobold Vancouver BC (My Page) on
    Sat, Jul 2, 05 at 3:52

kritter64 , joefromsd, search Google for "japanese tools" or try www.hidatools.com( they are in California).

Andrea

o

Here's a picture of my DH admiring a bamboo and cedar (I think) gate at the Japanese Tea Garden at Central Park in San Mateo, California. I thought it was a nice simple combination of the two.

o

Andrea, thanks. Unless I've missed something the hidatools.com is more of a handtools site. I'm not looking for tools but for hinges, handles, locks -- the necessary hardware for mounting a swinging gate. I appreciate the help!

o

I'm looking for the same kind of thing. Found this site:

http://www.interactjp.com/eight/eindex.html

They're in Japan. Can't get more Japanese than that. Unfortunately, their specs are all in Japanese. I'm going to contact them for more details.

I've been looking at tansu hardware and been told it's too lightweight to handle a gate. Makes sense.

If anyone's found any other resources, please let me know.

Here is a link that might be useful: Eight Site

o

Me again. Also just found this site. Lots of broken links, but I'm going to give them a call.

http://www.misugidesigns.com/links.html

Here is a link that might be useful: Misugi Designs

o

Davissue, very nice gate and very authentic in appearance. This is the type of gate that would lead to a special inner garden path while the person in the photo might be facing the "familiar" entrance to a residence.

Kritter64, call Hida Tool and talk to Suzuki-san. She can tell you if she has a source for what you are looking for. Hida is a great resource. Please post your results for the rest of us.

Edzard, speaking of polished posts, I have come by a 6" x 10' post of Metasequioia. Have you are anyone else used this wood?

o

You could call Soko Hardware in San Francisco. They are located on Post Street in Japan Town. ( 415 931 5510 )

o
RE: Eight

Just checked the Eight site. Here's the link for their email question page in English. I bet they could give the specs of a specific piece in metric measurement. Let us know. The photos of the production process are interesting.

Here is a link that might be useful: Eight in English

o

They are not from Japan, but Stanley makes an excellent post and eye hinge set that is perfect for rustic round post gates:

http://www.stanleyhardware.com/default.asp?CATEGORY=HDW+POST+AND+RAIL+HINGES&TYPE=PRODUCT&PARTNUMBER=760475&SDesc=1/2%26quot%3Bx4%26quot%3B+Zinc+Plated2C+Screw+Hook+%26amp%3B+Eye+Hinge

If you want them to look a little bit more handmade, take a ball peen hammer to the ends that show.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Japanese Gardens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here