Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cferris26

dwarf japanese garden juniper

cferris26
18 years ago

I am extremely new to gardening and need help! I planted two of these junipers in front of the house in full sun. I am watering them about every other day, more or less depending on the soil. For some reason one of the plants' edges have all turned brown.The edges are dead looking, very brittle and falling off...the inside is still pretty green ...HELP what should i do? can i just cut off the edges? fertilize? i don't want the same thing to happen to the other one.

Comments (9)

• Cytania
    18 years ago

I've got this on one of my junipers so a quick Google brought up this;

http://www.gov.on.ca/OMAFRA/english/crops/facts/jundiebk.htm

I've already clipped out the dead section but I would recommend juniperus Repanda which is unaffected and seems most resistant to the droughty weather we have been having.

• winter_rose
    18 years ago

Any ideas where to buy horizontal juniper in Australia?

• Ron_B
    18 years ago

Here this is one of those plants that is produced in quantity out of state, is shipped in looking good, purchased and planted out - to soon blight off and dwindle away. Apparently the growers are using cultural methods that prevent problems that make it almost hopeless here. Blazing sunshine and perfect drainage may make it more reliable.

• edzard
    18 years ago

Did you break the rootball apart when you planted it? Junipers are dry sandy soil plants requiring rapid drainage and are mycorrhizae based, which conversely needs a temperature change of about 12 degrees to survive with high gaseous exchange. I would suspect that either not enough moisture got into the rootball or too much water has been applied.
    You could try puting a shade or frost blanket overtop for a while to retain the humidity, ease the high sun. Don't fertilize.

• Ron_B
    18 years ago

It's a pathogen, more than one blight is common on junipers. Keeping the plant damp would probably just make it worse. Search "juniper blight", for starters.

• winter_rose
    18 years ago

I couldn't get the conferta, but can get repanda. I am glad you think it likes the dry weather as we had alot of that last summer. It is winter here at the moment.

• thomasw_2
    18 years ago

Actually spreading junipers will grow in virtually any soil. I'm in Denver, CO and have them planted in a heavy clay augmented with bit of top soil, and they grow like weeds with adequate H2O.

The southwest facing section of 'lawn' is nothing but a sea of Prince of Wales Junipers. It bakes in the summer sun at our altitude 5280'. Takes about 1/3rd the water of a normal lawn.

The link is a pic, we're getting ready to give it it's once a year shearing

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:1008231}}

• fyd-healthman_earthlink_net
    12 years ago

We live between Galveston and Houston,Texas and have some junipers already established and grow very well; but, we just purchased six more to put in other parts of our garden as ground cover. They are all turning brown. First I thought maybe it's too much water, so I cut back on the water. Then I thought too little water was a added some water daily. I even moved the plants to another area and still they turned brown and look like they're dead. Even my established junipers are have some problems. The local Lowes Garden Center manager told me to put some root stimulant on them once a week to help the growth. That didn't seem to work. I don't know what to do. Help!!!

• Annie
    12 years ago

When I buy junipers, I take them out of their pots, open out the rootball and spread the roots out, untangling them if they are root-bound. Then I set the juniper in a bucket of water while I dig the hole. Be careful not to plant them too deep. I plant them in regular soil. Use the water in the bucket to help settle the soil in around the roots as you fill in the hole. You do not want to leave air pockets around their roots. Don't fertilize them. Mulch deeply around their base, at least equal to their drip-line, to help keep their roots moist and the soil cool. They do not like to sit in soggy soil. Add gravel, sand, and/or rocks to your soil for better drainage if need be.

~Annie

Sponsored
Fresh Pointe Studio
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading Interior Designers & Decorators | Delaware County, OH