Return to the Japanese Gardens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
anyone here grow shiso?

Posted by yippee1999 6/7 NYC (My Page) on
Sun, Jun 6, 10 at 13:15

Hi all. Is there anyone here that grows shiso? I believe I'd heard before that it self-sows quite readily?

I had a pot of shiso last year. At some point...maybe in the Fall...I forget....the plant appeared 'dead'. I don't think I'd labelled the particular pot, because I knew at the time it was shiso. Then at some point I moved my pots around and put all the 'dead' plants together.

Now amongst all those pots, not only am I seeing the usual random seedlings popping up...'weeds' etc. ....but I am seeing something that looks exactly like shiso....not just in one pot...but in three pots! Is it safe to assume that this must be the shiso...that the seeds did in fact sow into other nearby pots?

Mind you, I usually eat shiso WITH sushi so I don't know 100% how it tastes in its pure form...all alone. Nonetheless, I did eat a tiny piece of one of the leaves in question, and I'm pretty sure it tasted like what I remember of shiso. And as mentioned, the leaves look EXACTLY like shiso....

What do y'all think?

Tx!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: anyone here grow shiso?

Probably is it. Being an annual of the mint family it does reseed quite freely. I have the closely related opal basil that does similar reseeding.

tj

o

I grow Shiso.
Please look at:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Perilla

and

http://www.kitazawaseed.com/seeds_perilla.html

o

shiso, perilla, should have an herbal minty/basil/cinnamon type flavor. i grow the purple one and it seeds prolifically. japanese use the purple one to color pickled vegetables in big vats.
best,
mindy

o

Good bet that it is Shiso. It does reseed itself aggressively. There is another thread on GW about it's invasiveness. Search for perilla or shiso and you will find it.

Serrated leaves with a fuzzy texture and a squarish stem, along with the aroma/flavor are the identifying factors. The square stem is a dead giveaway. Enjoy, it is one of my favorite herbs.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Japanese Gardens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here