Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mrnorth4

Thats it, my backyard needs some workover!!

MrNorth4
18 years ago

Today I decided that its time I do something with my backyard. I have spent way too much time with the cramped spaces, like the tsukubai, which really aren't that difficult to find calmness and balance in. Its much more difficult (i think) to design larger areas. Therefor I decided to put my effort in making my backyard the calm tsuboniwa I want it to be!! :)

I hope my friends here at the forum want to be a part of it? Otherwise Im all alone, lol ;) Swedes suck on japanese gardening (most of them, that is)

I sat on the deck studying the site. What it lacked most of all was privacy. On both sides of the garden I have garage + hedge, but right in front of me I have only the trees. So I decided to dig in using paint shop pro and play with my imagination... And I created this for starters:

http://www.odla.nu/album/data/mrnorth/1431_p29943.jpg

This is a photo taken from the deck. I added some imaginary fencing (plain wood fencing), and immediatly the area felt so much more cosy, quiet, settling. I really dont know why... just got a "calming" feeling when pasting those small pixels of fence ;)

This is what it looks like in original:

http://www.odla.nu/album/data/mrnorth/1431_p29944.jpg

It is not easy when you have a brand new unexploited site to work with, and i have focused way too much on the areas close to the house, and not enough on the overview. I think thats why I have had problems finding balance.

Please, tell me if im on the right track here. I also noticed, when lookig above the fence, I have the opportunity to make shakkei ;)The forrest looks lovely!

see you!

Henrik

Comments (8)

• ltfuzz
    18 years ago

You have a great site to begin! The pond will keep your interest while the hard work goes forward. Decide on the size of your garden first of all, then make some sort of plan, limiting the area. Many will draw the house and lot, then plot the size of the garden. Note where the garden will be observed from. Consider how much time you will have to devote to maintaining after construction. A small garden, well maintained, is much nicer than a large garden crying for help. Do you want to move some dirt around with a tractor? Or will your lot stay relatively flat? Consider reading the book "Magic of Trees and Stone" by Mr. Saito or "A Japanese Touch for your Garden". These will give you ideas to meditate on.
    I have been working in my backyard for ten years or more and every spring there are new things to do and ideas to incorporate. For me, the "doing" is more important than the "having". I move pants around like they were pieces on a checkerboard. Therein lies the fun. Plus my wife knows where I am.
    Good luck and have fun, that's what it's all about.

Dave

Here is a link that might be useful: Dave's Garden

• MrNorth4
    Original Author
    18 years ago

I own four books on japanese gardening already, including the ones you suggested;)And I have read them all many times over.

I really think its nice to make the space more private, using the fence suggested in the pics above. Because, when looking at it now.. it feels like there is no limit to the garden, and that is (for me) unsettling. When looking at japanese gardens, I enjoy those in enclosed space better... the classical tsuboniwas.

I will continue to dream up some design plans... on my pc ;) And will post the results. If u got any ideas, please use the pics to draw on!

kind regards
    Henrik

• Cytania
    18 years ago

I'm not sure about the bamboo walling you Photoshoped in there - it looks a bit stark and claustrophobic. I'm wondering if you wouldn't do better to soften the tree backdrop with rocks and low shrub plantings. Consider use of focal points such as a teahouse or lanterns, consider specimen trees to come forward such as Acers. Pond is a great starting point though.

You're absolutely right about work being easier on computer. Shifting rocks in photoshop is so much easier than real life.

• MrNorth4
    Original Author
    18 years ago

I really want to avoid using rocks :( Because they are so hard to come by here with my limited budget and the location of my site. I was thinking of building a fance like this

http://www.educ.sfu.ca/kegan/JapangardenFence2.html

The bamboo fence was just for show, Im thinking of building something a bit darker, made of the cheapest wood I can find ;) Its 25 meters...

You mention laterns... how would you suggest I place one? I have plans to buy a yukimi-gata and place it close to my pond. I can't see (with my limited experience) where to place it...

kind regards
    Henrik

• ltfuzz
    18 years ago

Hi,
    Can you limit the garden's depth with a few evergreen trees? In odd numbers, placed in a group, they would perhaps stop the viewer's eye from wandering past the pond to the distant trees. Even a slight "berm" would limit the vista better than a large fence.
    Looking at the first pictures again, what a beautiful site!
    Dave

• coachsmyth
    18 years ago

Im with Dave
    IMHO it would be better to incorporate the view of the trees and forest rather than block them with a fence. A berm is an excellent idea. Also, (Again in my opinion), Id rather "develop" an area at a time rather than trying to do the whole yard at once. Id have an overall plan and then build them one area at a time. Its like eating an elephant...you do it one bite at a time

• Cytania
    18 years ago

Place lanterns where they will help guide you around the garden. This means you need to work out where your main paths/routes will be. Failing this look for where you want to create interest/drama.

Rocks are very important to Japanese gardens but the stroll garden style isn't too reliant on them - study pictures of top stroll gardens/parks. Look to incorporate 'hide&reveal' into your garden - as you walk around you can't see everything and when you round a corner a new aspect is revealed.

• MrNorth4
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Since I almost completed my fence, I decided to start planning the back yard.

Im 90% sure I will build some kind of fence... I read a large article on shakkeii and they introduced be to some interesting ideas about perspective, catching the eye and so forth...

I have two questions I figured I bring up:

1)About my pond... Im beginning to fear that the rocks I placed around the pond, makes it all very unsettling. When I look at ponds in books and pics where they place only 2-3 big rocks around it, and a waterfall and tree as focal point and then the other is just grass/moss/gravel. You know, I think it make the edges more uniformed...

When looking at my pic... the eye doesn't catch a specific item (as the willow, or the waterfall) because there are so many bright colored stones around it. If I remove the stones and add grass instead, it also makes it easier to sit by the pond. (Actually I would like to remake the pond all together, making it kokoro shaped...)

2) At my local store I found THIS::

{{gwi:1008490}}

It is really cheap, only 80 USD!!! it is quite big, made out of granite and the details are very good! I want to buy it right away, but then I fear I have no knowledge of where to place it.
    I have no islands in my pond, and adding yet another focal point to the pond will make it look like an amusement park, with all different attractions!!! I need your humble advices on what to do? I also feel that the pond is too smakk for that lantern.

As I feel, I should create another scene behind the pond, between the pond and the wall (when i make it) There I could make a hill, plant some pines and other evergreens, and then at a good location, place this lantern. Possibly a kasuga would be more appropriate?

I feel like I dont have enough vegetation in my garden to create a pleasing scene with this lantern.... but yet, I cant resist that price!!! As I feel I have 2 choices

1) Redesign the pond so that it can have a yukimigata close to it

2)Add additional "hills" with vegetation in my garden and find a good position for it somewhere. I have no paths in my garden....

/Henrik - feeling unsettled right now!!!