Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
yama_gw

who is coming to Japanse garden symposim In Seattle

yama
19 years ago

Hi all

I am wondering how many of Japanees garden forum posters are coming to Seattl for the syposuim.

I know June, christian, nachodady, lee from Main ,edzard ,kberry are coming.

Are you coming too ?

can we meet before or after symposim to know each othre ?

Comments (26)

• inkognito
    19 years ago

Run the dates and times by again please.

• yama
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Hi INk ognito
    here is information you asked for.
    Ink ognit is latain of IKN= xxxxxx ognito=??????
    mike

Here is a link that might be useful: japanse garden symposuim in Seattle

• nachodaddy
    19 years ago

Yama sensei- good idea. Let's post this again just before the symposium. Maybe have a BBQ coupled with root pruning a P. Nigra I have. Bring your jackhammer. j/k

• yukio
    19 years ago

Mike, I will try to come up for a day or two just to hang out. David

• gardenberry
    19 years ago

I'm coming in to Seattle Friday VERY LATE (especially with the time change) and I'm NOT a morning person so I'll be much more sociable later in the day on Saturday. I am looking forward to meeting all my new friends in person!!! This conference will, I think, be a blast!!! (showing my age, I think....)

• Jando_1
    19 years ago

Not a chance gardenberry I say blast all the time and I know I am tons older than you. In fact we blasted all through my high school years, now "rockin and rollen and movin and groovin" might date me.

I too am looking forward to meeting all my garden web friends who will be in Seattle. Maybe we should all be wearing caps the same color, then we could spot each other with a glance. Something outrageous I think should be in order!;)))))))) Although I doubt I could picture you Edzard in a hot pink or some other funky colored baseball cap. Now Mike you just might wear it!!!!!!!!! ;)))))))He he, ha ha ha! The visions I am conjuring up are giving me the giggles.

Cheers Jando

• gregoryjohn
    19 years ago

"now 'rockin and rollen and movin and groovin' might date me."

Gee, isn't that one of those sayings from the old'n days? :) :)

Hi Jando! Glad to see your back!

Greg

• yama
    Original Author
    19 years ago

June
    If you were pink cap .......... we all come to you.
    I am practical, boreing guy but lored by pink.....hehehe
    where is Christian ?

• Jando_1
    19 years ago

Mike, don't spoil all my fun! I bet Edzard would look great in a pink baseball cap! And Greg have you thought of going to the symposium????????

Cheers Jando

• yama
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Ok June.
    you have
    pink base ball caps and red faces... ;););)..... mike

I will go to Target and get pink caps for Edzard and me .

• Jando_1
    19 years ago

What a hoot!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Smiling ear to ear. Now I had better find a pink cap. Never wore a baseball cap in my life. But if you and Edzard have them I guess I had better tooo! Oh and pink is not my color I should have thought this through. ;)

What have I started, well they will certainly get a kick out of our forum members.

Cheers Jando

• didgeridoo
    19 years ago

Hey all,

Im totally committed to attending the Symposuim in August...just not quite monetarily prepared as of yet. I am looking forward to meeting all of my cyberbuddies face to face and hanging out doing what we all love to do. Sorry Jando, Ill probably have to forgo the pink hat purchase so i can afford to buy some ramen noodles when i get to Seattle. ;)

-christian

• yama
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Hi
    chistian is a tall, handsame, single guy and well mannerd. you will never miss him,even he does not wear pink hat. ...................mike

• george_in_the_uk
    19 years ago

Hi Mike,
    Sorry I cannot make it but will be with you in spirit.
    George.

Here is a link that might be useful: George's Japanese Garden

• yama
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Hi George
    How about next symposim ? or I save money and vist you.
    mike

• edzard
    19 years ago

hmmmm, :))), I can do Pretty in Pink,... except my scalp has an allergic reation to baseball caps, pink is fine... but could I spray paint my kubara hat instead...!? perhaps flourescent paint on my cowboy boots, or perhaps I'll wear the ropers and put on pink bootlaces?
    --for the occasion I'd take the spurs off, so'as not to stand out too much... but only on Friday night.....

'specially since 'loud' people are normally avoided. Japanese gardeners read people... Japanese ones more than others, there is that tendency to distill things to the bottom, in a mere heartbeat. The whole garden [person] is evaluated and like a garden any spot where the eye stops isn't good, yet a seamless whole integrates easily...

considering the environment, it would be advisable to be as 'quiet' as possible, [I myself] being there to learn, drawing excessive attention is normally detrimental to meeting and greeting future teachers, mentors, building future associations etc... length of a burning match etc. to make a good impression...
    some people I know only 'work' for someone 3 days a year, and still learn volumes, and if 'you' are the applying student candidate about to be mentored, your value is also on how you 'fit' into a team environment...

we in turn would be sending a strong message that we are the GW Team, a good idea, yet might be mistaken & akin to my crooked spectacles with tape on the broken arm, too short pants with green left and red right socks while belonging to the Slug Racing Club and hating the beer Frats because beer kills good racing slugs.

and for those going on to the Kyoto Research Centre for Japanese Garden Art, being there to meet the instructors... low key with humour is better than valour...

... :), person = site + message sent = gets answers you want.

.. something more discreet if we must. I was ruminating the thought of wether or not my mediocre observation skills would be able to place nom de plume and person... this way to find everyone, you'd have to meet and greet everyone there,.. which is 60%+ of a symposium purpose...
    ...connecting people, ideas, purposes and finding mutual solutions...
    ...and on that note, may I suggest that if you are not in possession of business cards, then a well designed simple 'meishi' - a simple calling card would be very useful..
    [:), understatement !! along with a list of people you would like to meet ]
    edzard
    p.s a very good idea... and this isn't a somber affair either,... other suggestions?

• yukio
    19 years ago

Christian, i will buy you a pink hat. it could match some of the tile that you set. David:)

• Jando_1
    19 years ago

Chuckling, Edzard you have painted a hilarious mental picture for me, that in itself could never be better than the actual sight of you in that getup. But since we want to not have the eye stop at our pink hats, and keeping with a more monochromatic look, maybe we should dress in all hot pink to tone down the offensive clash of color. Wouldn't want to make a bad impression. ;))))))))))

Cheers Jando

• Snaz
    19 years ago

Will be arriving in Seattle on Sept. 1. It looks like I`ll be at the Arboretum on Thursday with relatives and might try to sneak over to the university.
    Sna

• SilverVista
    19 years ago

Don't know why it took this long to sink in, but...edzard...spurs?????

susan

• Jando_1
    19 years ago

Three days and counting!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Cheers Jando

• edzard
    19 years ago

ummm, why yes... spurs are good,
    seems it takes more than personality to keep the girls happy (who'da thunk it!!) whats that tracks main line???? spare a horse, ride a cowboy... some such.
    ;)
    edzard
    ...race horses occasionally need guidance if there is no track to follow, 'specially after warming up, excitable and then running into bears... occasionally situations become explosive...

• Gorfram
    19 years ago

Yow-sza, Edzard!!! They grow 'em up wild out thar on the prarie, don't they! :)

So much for my image of the male J. gardening fraternity as a bunch of aesthetically prissy eggheads whose girlfriends tolerate them mostly for their ability to use the word "horticulture" in a sentence*! (Not, of course, that I ever thought of anyone on this forum in those terms:)

(*Albeit not necessarily as well as in the old Parker-ism "You can lead a horticulture, but you canÂt make her think." :)

Anything for an excuse to trot out Dorothy Parker,
    :) Evelyn

PS. Circumstances prevent my attending the symposium :(

However, may I suggest that, should all your pink baseball caps be confiscated by TSA agents, GW forumites might identify themselves to each other by wearing; drawn in ballpoint on nametags or embroidered in Lurex on Opera capes, or somewhere in between; an image of one of the deep blue irises depicted on the screen shown at the top of the Japanese Gardening Forum page? - subtle, distinctive, and possibly even workable :)

• Jando_1
    19 years ago

Darn I never got my pink cap!!!!!! But I'll pick Edzard out easily with his spurs! Those of us from the forum should pick a time and place to meet. Any ideas?????

Two days and counting!!!!!!

Cheers Jando

• Cady
    19 years ago

Don't forget, those of us who can't attend, WANT TO SEE PICTURES. Take pics of the gardens, yourselves, everything. Have fun.

• Gorfram
    19 years ago

What Cady said goes double for me!!!
    Pictures, descriptions, anything and everything (especially of the Millarville Kid in his spurs and pink Dayglo Stetson:)

Bon Symposium!

- Evelyn

Sponsored