Return to the Japanese Gardens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
japanese teahouse exterior

Posted by barrelhead 8 - west coast of Ca (My Page) on
Tue, Jun 5, 07 at 20:22

I am trying to build a Japanese teahouse "influenced" outbuilding. (I have visited Japan and can not accomplish an authentic one). They are traditionally finished on the exterior with a yellowish natural plaster-type mixture, but I don't want to use stucco or regular horizontal siding. Ideas? I've looked at lots of pictures but I'm stumped on what I can adapt for use in my location (BC Canada).

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: japanese teahouse exterior

Have you seen this site? http://woodsshop.com/Chashitsu_Plans_Chashitsu_Plan.htm

o
RE: japanese teahouse exterior

Hi:

I made a Japanese inspired wall/fence (see link below, in this post...those pics are from the initial construction) using plywood as a base, and covering it with a mixture of outdoor paint and sand. You mix some sand with the paint before painting the surface. I used three coats. Experiment with the mixture...it's not critical. The result is a stucco look with less work.

I put silicone sealant around the edges of the plywood to prevent water damage. It has already withstood two Ottawa winters and is in great shape.

Here is a link that might be useful: My Japanese garden fence/wall

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Japanese Gardens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here