Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
herb_gw

Lost and found?

Herb
18 years ago

I wonder how many other Japanese gardens have been lost and are waiting to be found again?

I should think that if anybody has any old photographs of Japanese gardens that are now un disrepair, it would be interesting to see them.

Click here to read about this one

Comments (11)

• Niwashisan
    18 years ago

Herb,

I have recently been working on this project, mainly in an advisory capacity but I did go down there to do some pruning and build a really nice Yotsume-gaki. Great attention to detail has been shown in the restoration work though as with many of the large historic Japanese gardens in this country it is clearly an Edwardian English interpretation of a Japanese garden. I think it shows how much this anglo-japanese hybrid is now seen as an important part of English garden history as in a number of major gardens the National Trust have sought to recreate the original rather than aim for authenticity.

Graham

• Herb
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Graham -

I guess it must be a hard choice when a restorer has to choose between re-creating the original and modifying it to follow Japanese principles more closely, but history is sometimes important. It'd be very interesting to see pictures of gardens restored to the Edwardian interpretation of Japanese garden style. Any chance of this?

This example isn't that sort of situation, but a year or two ago, after the Nitobe Memorial Garden had fallen into disrepair, and then restored, I stuck my neck out and lamented in rather strong terms the re-arrangement of one of the tsukubais in the Tea Garden, because (to me) the original, by Professor Mori, was better. Then it was pointed out to me that the re-arrangement more closely follows the rules. I have to concede that it does, but I (rather timidly) still think that I prefer the way Professor Mori did it.

Herb

• Cytania
    18 years ago

There are a number of lost gardens of all styles all over Britain. They were usually lost between the first and second world wars. There usually just wasn't the men to spare and the aristocracy became impoverished. Gardens became forgotten.

Another anglo-Japanese garden is at Newstead Abbey in Nottinghamshire. This was never truly abandonned but was rejuvenated last year. Tatton Park just outside Manchester however had an entire village composition shipped over from Japan in the C19th so is highly authentic.

• Herb
    Original Author
    18 years ago

There's a panorama of the Newstead Abbey garden here - scroll down till you come to it. You'll need to have Quicktime installed in your computer to view it - drag the picture left or right with your mouse. To my eyes it looks 90% Anglo and only 10% Japanese!

Click here & scroll down to the Newstead pan. (BTY, some of the other panoramas are excellent).

• DonPylant
    18 years ago

One authentic Japanese garden, Kumamoto En, is located in San Antonio Botanical Gardens. Fund raising for repairs is underway via the city's International Affairs Dept. Long term maintenance and authenticity is still the weak link once it is repaired.

• patjonking
    18 years ago

What do you mean by the word, "authentic?" Sounds like more sushi and kimonos to me.

• DonPylant
    18 years ago

"Authentic" is the word used by Japanese authorities and delegates visiting the garden. Here's a bit on the history and photos of what the garden looked like.

Here is a link that might be useful: Kumamoto En

• nachodaddy
    18 years ago

Plenty of discussion on that term. Just search the site. No need to recreat what was already discussed.

Michael

• Niwashisan
    18 years ago

Though authenticity is a bit of a touchy subject I would question the use of authentic in describing Tatton Park. The vast majority of the artefacts and materials used in creating the garden did originate from Japan they were brought to Cheshire from the Anglo-Japanese exhibition, London, 1910 and then assembled into garden built by Japanese but on the whim of an Englishman. Many Japanese feel this garden reminds them very much of home but the artefacts, particularly the lanterns, have been used far too liberaly. The English principle of more is more ? And as for the bronze cranes ..... Thats why this is a classic example of early western interpretation - Japonaiserie.

• bahamababe
    18 years ago

In my experience Japanese people will go out of their way to say something polite, even if the subject of attention isn't worthy of it. I'd like to have a better gauge than what my Japanese friends say, because they'll be polite no matter what.

• Niwashisan
    18 years ago

In my experience of Japanese gardeners they are not always so polite when confronted with a garden they feel uncomfortable with. Maybe a better gauge than what your Japanese friends say is to ask a Japanese gardener.

Sponsored
KP Designs Group
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars50 Reviews
Franklin County's Unique and Creative Residential Interior Design Firm