Return to the Japanese Gardens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Japanese Dry Gardens

Posted by michaeldigsdirt (My Page) on
Sun, Jun 24, 07 at 21:22

I have been asked to construct a Japanese Dry Garden.

The existing yard is all grass approx 30 x 12

The Question I have is after getting rid of grass and adding my drains (basic Hardscaping)
I want to have a sea of sand which I will incorporate a path, Japanese lantern, several large rocks, a Japanese yew, Chinese fridge tree and a medium size bonsai tree. Should this sea of sand, I am think about using white masonry sand with is a very fine white sand, be laid on a bed of packed crushed granite.

I have found rakes from asiangardentools.com if anyone is interested in large rakes for Japanese gardens.

Thanks for you interest.

Michael

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Japanese Dry Gardens

Hi Micheal,
If you use large crushed granitt and put your fine sand on the top when you rake your sand it is going to go down through the larger chippings,also white sand is too bright and sand is too fine,I used 8/10 mm limestone chippings which are the ideal size for raking and are grey/white which is a more subdued colour,you can see my karasansui garden on the link below.
George.

Here is a link that might be useful: George's Japanese Garden

o

Also, if you use sand or anything that fine (I once used black sandblasting grit for a small raked area) the neighborhood cats will use it for a litter box.

o

Turkey grit (Tuff Shell) is limestone chips and the right size. I sprayed Liquid Fence to keep the cats away.

o

The rakes Michael references are sold on my website. They were initially made for an Asian-style garden I designed and installed in my own back yard because I could not find a rake to purchase anywhere on the internet. They were originally designed for coarse beach sand because that medium holds patterns that large stone such as most crushed granite cannot. The rakes also work well with fine crushed dolomite or any medium no larger than kosher salt. They do not work well with fine sand because it doesn't hold the pattern well.

As for cats, I was at first very concerned that our neighborhood cats would use the garden as a litter box. During the five years this garden has been in existence, this has not been a problem. I can only speculate that this is due to the fact that the sand granules are very large and coarse.

o

• Posted by
    PETER ANDREWS
    (pgla@shaw.ca) on
    Thu, Feb 24, 11 at 21:36

I AM IN THE MIDDLE OF CREATING A KARASANSUI GARDEN.THE AREA IS APROX. 3500SQ.FT.WITH ABOUT 850 SQ.FT. OF CRUSHED GRAVEL.THE SURROUNDING "MOUNTAINS" RISE ABOVE THE GRAVEL AREA BY ABOUT 4/5 FEET.LARGE ROCKS 2 TO 3 TONS IN WEIGHT HAVE BEEN PLACED AS BOATS IN THE GRAVEL(WATER) AND ON THE RAISED AREAS(MOUNTAINS)QUESTION; WHAT IS THE RECOMMENDED GROUND COVER OVER THE MOUNTAIN AREAS BEFORE THE ADDITION OF JAPANESE MAPLES,GRASSES ECT.,TEMPS MODERATE 0-25 CENT.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Japanese Gardens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here