Return to the Japanese Gardens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
ume fruits ripening?

Posted by coing z6-7 PA (My Page) on
Sun, Jun 15, 08 at 21:56

I planted a Prunus mume, and it is doing very well.
Some of the branches are heavily laden with fruit, which is
hard as rock, though some are blushed with a bit of pink.

How do you decide when to harvest the ume? I see that I should not wait until they ripen, but at what point are they ripe enough to make umeboshi and plum wine?

If anyone can enlighten me, thank you very much.

Coing

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: ume fruits ripening?

• Posted by yama 7b Ga (My Page) on
    Mon, Jun 16, 08 at 6:43

Hi coing
To make umeboshi, you have to have shiso ready to color red. if you din't grow Shiso this year, you make plume wine. you use vodka or shochu to make plum wine.
It is about time to hurvest Ume in Japan.
Since I don't know vareity of Plume tree, size of fruit, it is hard to guess that you have early bloomer, mid bloomer or late bloomer. also depend on weather of your area. It is about time to hurvest Ume in Japan.
keep record of ume growth for future reffrence.
This year, wait untill few fruits chenging color to yellowsh, then you harvest rest of ume on the tree.
Nanko, kaga, shiro kaga, koshu koume are popular varety of umeboshi production.
yama

o

• Posted by coing z6-7 PA (My Page) on
    Wed, Jun 18, 08 at 6:54

Hi yama, thanks for your reply. Actually I do have some shiso growing, I have grown for years more as an ornamental than for using its flavor. But this is the first year my tree had fruit. I think the tree is more an ornamental variety, but I will give it a try. The fruits are now about 2 or 2.5 cm in size, and there are a lot of them. I will wait as you say, and try it as an experiment.

Thanks again, your information is very helpful!

Coing

o

• Posted by yama 7b Ga (My Page) on
    Thu, Jun 19, 08 at 23:15

hi coing
Shiso has many use too.
flower
you can use as gernish, tempra, seed can be use as sort of pickle/ splinkle on salad, pasta, in rice ball gernish.

leave
can use as kimchee, toping of salada( have to chop off fine), ifred shiso can be use as food coloring/red
but stain your finger and nail ^^

Enjoy gardening...............yama

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Japanese Gardens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here