Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
madtripper

substitute for rice paper on shoji window

madtripper
14 years ago

I am planning to buld some shoji windows, but need something more waterproof and windproof for the white part. Any suggestions?

Thanks.

Comments (10)

• inkognito
    14 years ago

Check out the blinds section at Home Depot, I saw some blind material yesterday that might work. You may need to use this as just the cosmetic part though with something else providing the waterproof/windproof part.

• inkognito
    14 years ago

You see, what makes one of these forums work is feed back. Somebody asks for suggestions, a suggestion is given, the original poster gives comments on that suggestion and the project is further defined, then others offer suggestions leading to a plan for the OP. If this doesn't happen a forum dies or stagnates just like this one.

If someone offers a suggestion and is ignored this could be considered rudeness discouraging further participation.

• wasabinsoy
    14 years ago

sorry for the late response but if you are still considering alternatives....i've used florescent light lens material from hd or lowes...about 2 x 4 feet plain translucent white..

best,

sabi

• madtripper
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I'll look at the paper in the blinds section. So far everything I have seen is quite opague.

I do plan to use it as backing on glass.

• etehiver
    14 years ago

You might want to consider material not originally intended for that use, but would work very well. Diffusion material, generally used in TV, Film, and photographic lighting would work. It's tough, and comes in many different opacities, thicknesses, and (not really useful for your question) colors. A few companies make it, but Rosco brand is well known. I'd suggest you could order an inexpensive (or free) swatch sample book, (google it) and find what works best for your needs. A product I've used (in the photo industry) is Rosco Tuff Spun #105. It looks like a very thin spun cloth that is used on lights outdoors in the rain and wind. It comes in large rolls or smaller 20x30" sheets I think. The one thing that I'm not sure of is the long-term use outdoors. I just haven't used it that way before, and i"m not sure if it's color yellows. It's worth checking out though. I'll include the link, but keep in mind it's written for people in the industry that knows what all the jargon means.

Here is a link that might be useful: Rosco Lighting Filters

• madtripper
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I went shopping for material again and found some film at Home Depo for putting on glass. One variety is actually called Rice paper. A second brand was found in a different part of the store.
    this material comes in fairly small sheets and is very expensive. It would cost over $100 to do 3 fairly small windows.

I also had a look at parchment paper used for baking. It actually looks better than the film and is much cheaper. I plan to try to use it and glue it to the back of the glass.

• mmkhearts
    8 years ago

I was just looking up parchment paper to see if anyone tried it. I am going to try painting simple flower and leaves on some today to see if it can be used on decorative indoor screens.

• mblan13
    8 years ago

mmk, go to an art supply store and ask for "frosted (or Frosty) mylar, or try a translucent white shower curtain.

• mmkhearts
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

OK

thanks, good ideas! :) also, I did paint on roll of paper and it could work in a Shoji frame. I would just have to be careful not to lean on it and tear it accidentally.

Sponsored
Pioneers Kitchen and Bath LLC.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Loudoun County's Professional Kitchen & Bath Remodelers