Return to the Japanese Gardens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Trying to identify this plant.

Posted by mirrodie z7 (My Page) on
Wed, Jun 3, 09 at 22:19

Hi. I am trying to identify this plant and see if I can grow it.

It sits on my neighbors fence and the old homeowner called it a type of Japanese maple this that correct? The first 2 images are close ups.

Only recently did I notice that it bore seeds, which I now have put into pots and am trying to grow. Previously I trying taking cuttings of it and using root hormone to no avail.

Here is a link that might be useful: close up #1

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Trying to identify this plant.

Here is another image of the seeds.
http://www.nycaviation.com/hosting/seeds2.jpg

Also, a few weeks ago I noted that roughly 40 feet away, a new plant started to grow in the partial shade of an evergreen bush that we have. its only 8 inches tall or so and sits up against a brick wall. I assume its a new baby of hte same tree type that I am trying to identify. Thoughts?

Now, if it IS indeed the same plant, could you please explain how I can remove the new baby tree and either get it into a pot OR plant in elsewhere as I would really like to grow this tree.

Thanks for the knowledge in advance.
http://www.nycaviation.com/hosting/baby2.jpg

o

I did a lot of research for you, and I think your tree is the variety, "Beni Maiko" or "Red Haired Dancing Girl" I'm sending a link to the page I found it on. It looks really close! I would love to grow this myself, because I'm a red haired dancing girl..lol.. Maybe you could send some seeds when they mature in spring? That would be lovely.. TY in advance! :)

Here is a link that might be useful: Japanese Maples

o

• Posted by laag z6CapeCod (My Page) on
    Thu, Jun 18, 09 at 22:04

It is unlikely that the seed is going to produce a plant that exhibits the same characteristics of a specific cultivar of Japanese Maple. I believe that most are odd genetic makeups that are propagated by cuttings, tissue culture, or grafting - simply put, they are clones. A seed is not a clone.

o

As Laag said, seedlings are usually different than the parent. But they often produce nice trees, regardless.

This is the second year that I've collected Japanese maple seedlings, and this is how I do it: during a cooler time of day (early morning or evening), I dig the seedlings up. I use a mix of pine/fir bark and perlite in a 3/4 gallon nursery container. Once I dig the seedling up, I plop the root-ball into the container (with some moist bark/perlite on the bottom), and fill around the root-ball with the bark/perlite mix. I water well. Then I keep the seedlings in a shady, cool location - protected from winds, but with good circulation - for at least a week. You can gradually move them into filtered / dappled / partial sun afterward, but watch the new growth for drying or scorching.

Josh

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Japanese Gardens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here