Return to the Japanese Gardens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Ideas for frontyard rehab

Posted by sakuragirl 8 (My Page) on
Mon, Jul 25, 05 at 0:09

We moved to this house last summer and I've been scouring through several Japanese garden books for ideas on redoing the frontyard into a more Japanese looking garden. For now, I'd like to retain the walkway as it is. Thinking about revamping the right side of the yard into a part rock and part gravel plus plant type of layout. I'd like to move the three rocks on the left side over to the right side as a 3-group arrangement. The 'tree' looking plant is a Forsythia. There's also 2 medium sized rocks below the forsythia which is currently hidden among weeds. Seems to me I'd need some kind of fencing behind the right side, but would I need to extend the fencing over on the left side, too? In which case, would I need a gate of some kind? I'm starting to feel a little overwhelmed by the ideas and possibilities and feel a little paralyzed by it. I need help to clarify some of these ideas and I'm reaching out to the good folks on this forum. I'm about to start 'sketching' some ideas on my photo with Photoshop. In the meantime, I would really, really appreciate any ideas you can throw my way! ;) Domo arigato! Below is a picture of my front yard.

Linda

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/lindalee5445/album?.dir=/27cf&.src=ph

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Ideas for frontyard rehab

In the West a front garden is an open space with a show of plants - designed for passerby to admire. In Japan front gardens tend to be enclosed and offer the outside world only hints of what the householder enjoys.

Does your local neighbour have a code against fences? This is often the reason for such open-plan expanses of boring grass. If so then consider making your garden 'Zen' style without the fences and walls - a miniature landscape essentially. If not the consider subtle screening through shrubs and trees - these become the backgrop to whatver you create but doesn't shut the outside world off totally.

Looks quite dry where you are. Are we talking gravel and palms, hinting at Okinawa planting?

PS Your rocks won't have much impact on their own. Are they the sort of stone you get locally? If not don't start with them as a mainstay get larger rocks in and then see if they fit.

o

Thank you for your suggestions Cytania. No, I don't have any code issues with fencing but I have considered creating shrub/tree screenings. I live in the Northwest where things tend to get dry in mid-summer. I just haven't bothered watering the front since I'll be redoing it and also because we've been experiencing a mild drought season.

Linda

o

• Posted by Herb Victoria, B.C. (My Page) on
    Mon, Jul 25, 05 at 19:07

Here's a picture of a front garden in our neighborhood in Victoria, B.C. It may not suit your lot, or even appeal to you, but there may be one or two ideas there.

Click here

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Japanese Gardens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here