Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
plantfreak

Why is the gallery so slow over here?

plantfreak
18 years ago

The discussion side is pretty active but the gallery side is positively dead! I have a photo on there from April 2004! My god, that's a long time. Don't you guys like photos? PF

Comments (7)

• coachsmyth
    18 years ago

Naww...we're not big on pictures. We prefer endless arguments over lantern placements, shinto and zen designs and whether or not Torii's are appropriate garden accoutrements (no).
    We also like to laugh at (some of)the snobs who write articles for the JOJG. Esoteric discussions over the number of dancing pine needles that fit on the head of a non existent Oribe lantern are also welcomed. But pictures? other than Herb and Henrik...no way :-)

/attempt at humour

• DonPylant
    18 years ago

I usually post to my own site and provide a link. Will this help your imagery hunger?

Here is a link that might be useful: Gardens in Japan

• plantfreak
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Cool shots Don. Did you take them all yourself? I have to get to Kumamoto and see that public garden since it's not that far from me.

I guess I find the apparent disinterest a bit disappointing since I'm here photographing the world around me in a state of awe. I end up learning about it afterwards mostly. What a journey it has been. Locally the best gardens are mostly in private hands, so access is a problem. I find most of my best subjects in the mountains, at temples, and at shrines. I especially love jizo statues. They are a blast! PF

• asuka
    18 years ago

Very nice indeed, Don.. have bookmarked it for future checking :)

Jack

• DonPylant
    18 years ago

PF, the photo's are mine (and about 1600 more deteriorating slides and videos I wish were digitized!)

If you visit Kumamoto, let me know when you will be there. The Governor's residence is also very nice, and the Castle is a great experience in defense architecture!

I have enjoyed some of your photos - especially the mist rolling down from magical mountains. This is one of the things I miss most. If you had some web space, would you want to post some of your awe?

ps: watch out for sushi of Kumamoto City. They are famous for their raw horse liver. : )

• plantfreak
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Hey Don, you mean shots like these?

{{gwi:1008747}}

{{gwi:1008748}}

{{gwi:1008749}}

{{gwi:1008750}}

And just for fun, this one:

{{gwi:1008751}}

Yeah, I know youÂve gotta watch out for sushi; all kinds of stuff shows up. Whale, horse, chicken, and some of the parasite laden fish like mackerel. With the mackerel (saba), if the fish is fresh then the meat is OK (so IÂm told) because the parasitic worms are in the fishÂs belly, not the meat. However, if the fish isnÂt fresh the parasites move into the meat hence you eat them. I know one fellow who was unfortunate and ate some bad saba. The doctor took a look inside with his endoscope and started laughing. He remarked between chuckles, "I can see the worm devouring your stomach lining!" Doctors have a strange sense of humor.

In the near future I will be putting up a site for my photos and thoughts. I'll let you know when it is up.

PF

• DonPylant
    18 years ago

Yes, PF. Those are just a little breathtaking! I think I have my screensavers for a few months!

Domo!

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!