Return to the Japanese Gardens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Red Japanese Maple is wilting!

Posted by believer81 NC (My Page) on
Tue, Jul 18, 06 at 20:14

I received a Red Japanese Maple almost a year ago for a birthday present from my son. I have had it outdoors ever since watering at least every other day and it has been doing very well and had new growth in the spring. Recently I noticed some small white spots on the plant and today I noticed many leaves were wilting, drying up. It's been hot, but was hot last summer too and never noticed this before and I have been watering it. Does anyone have any ideas? I still have it in its original container. Please advise as I don't want to lose it.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Red Japanese Maple is wilting!

Hi Believer,
First of all, i'm no expert on J.maples but i've grown some nice ones on my property. If it's still in a nursery container, get it in the ground. If your soil is heavy, dig in some sand and peat to loosen it up. Pick a spot where it's not in sun all day. A spot that gets afternoon shade.
Plant the root ball a bit higher as opposed to too deep and put about 2in. of mulch over the planting area. As to watering, you'll have to be the judge. They like a moist but well drained soil. When it starts to look better,hit it some acid fertilizer, like Miracid at half the recommend dose. Hope i was some help to you. I live in Mich. My soil is very sandy and has been amended with top-soil and shreded oak leaves. I'd attach a pic of my 15ft.'Blood Good' beauty in the front of my house but haven't learned how to attach a pic with a message yet. Good Luck

o
RE: Red Japanese Maple is wilting!

Pic of our Japanese Maple in the photo gallery. Print
Japanese Maple in search box.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Japanese Gardens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here