Return to the Japanese Gardens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
sansho

Posted by valter ? (My Page) on
Sat, Aug 18, 07 at 11:39

where can i get seed or cuttings? i have just had japanese pepper on my poached eggs, and would like to grow some in the west of scotland.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: sansho

Hi,Valter, I can't help with a source for seeds or cuttings.

I did learn from http://www.answerbag.com/q_view/5980 that it grows abundantly in China and "...it's known by many names - Chinese pepper, Fagara, Flower pepper, Sancho powder, Szechwan pepper, anise pepper. Sichuan pepper, by whatever name, is a spice worth knowing."

Here is a link that might be useful: Szechwan pepper on Amazon

o
RE: sansho

• Posted by yama 7b Ga (My Page) on
    Tue, Sep 4, 07 at 22:20

Hi valtr
To grow Sanshow from cutting is very hard.Unless you have extensive knowlege of propergation and good equipment. it is not for home owner or amature's project. However if you can find seeds, you can grow sansho easely. September is good time to hurvest seeds to propergate. If you wait untill late fall or early winter, seed's germination rate drop drasticly.
I have sanshow seeds this year but it in not for sale nor share seeds this year. It is will be my stock plant.
If you can find mature sansho in your are, Ask ownwer ot the tree for air layer. You have to have a male sansho and female sanshos in order to produce seed.
You can only identify male or female when sansho bloom in around April.

Good luck. yama

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Japanese Gardens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here